Additional headlights?

8 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted May 09, 2003 - 11:09 AM

Anyone added extra headlights to your WR's? We ride the sand dunes twice a year and extra lights would be killer for night riding. The WR headlight is plenty bright, but the fender blocks alot of it and I thought maybe some low wattage driving lights temporarily strapped to the forks (below the fender to fill in the black spots) might be a solution. I am electrically challenged so let me know what you think!

• BrandonW

Posted May 09, 2003 - 02:00 PM

I am looking to upgrade in this area too.

I have a 55/65 watt bulb up front, and under a load, it spews out plenty of light, but low-speed single track when dark, is scary.

First off, I believe that the '98 WR stators are less powered than the newer, maybe something like 80 vs 120 watt output, or something like that? Is up-grading to a higher out-put stator a solution?

Also, a neighbor of mine is thinking that my rear light probably draws about 10 watts, and maybe 15 when I am using the brakes. He says that if we convert that over to LCD, the draw is reduced to 2-3 watts.

Are these the solutions to better lighting at night, or are there other directions?

Thanks!

• captain_S

Posted May 09, 2003 - 03:08 PM

Yep brandon, you are rite about the lcd lights,they draw less power(i have been told they are real sturdy too!),now you guys may think this is a crazy idea but when i was watching the dakar rally on tv this year i saw a guy get help from some other folks when his lights got broke after a fall,he rode of into the dark with some spot lights taped too the top of his crash helmet!,looked real good (you go where you look remember)now i`m sure with a little bit of cunning this could be perfected to be mounted to the peak of a crash helmet(those little after market headlights should work ok)and plug it in just behind you at the rear of the seat!,what do you think? :)

• oRGie

Posted May 09, 2003 - 03:15 PM

Yep brandon, you are rite about the lcd lights,they draw less power(i have been told they are real sturdy too!),now you guys may think this is a crazy idea but when i was watching the dakar rally on tv this year i saw a guy get help from some other folks when his lights got broke after a fall,he rode of into the dark with some spot lights taped too the top of his crash helmet!,looked real good (you go where you look remember)now i`m sure with a little bit of cunning this could be perfected to be mounted to the peak of a crash helmet(those little after market headlights should work ok)and plug it in just behind you at the rear of the seat!,what do you think? :D

I tink U arrr kRaZy :) muhahahaha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted May 09, 2003 - 05:01 PM

You need more light? You need H.I.D. lighting. Its expensive but from what I hear it is the hot setup.

• jasowiii

Posted June 02, 2003 - 06:54 PM

It's L ight E mitting D iode.

Not LCD!!!

I'd be interested in any info, links etc. on HID lighting systems. The stuff I have found looks big and heavy!

Does anyone know the output Watts/Amps of the 98 WR400 stator? :)

Jimmy

• PumpkinHumper

Posted June 03, 2003 - 06:52 AM

Check these folks out.

Baja Designs

They have all kinds of lighting solutions. It aint cheep. But its bright.

• Desracer

Posted June 03, 2003 - 07:56 PM

I have read that you can replace the stock bulb with an 85 watt HID bulb. I did ride in the dunes with the stock light and found it plenty bright. The problem I had was turning and not seeing where I was going, so I tried tapeing a flashlight to my helmet and it helped. I did buy a 3 bulb led unit for this but havent had a chance to use it. The HID bulb would be nice though.

• ddialogue

Posted June 04, 2003 - 05:05 AM

I have read that you can replace the stock bulb with an 85 watt HID bulb. I did ride in the dunes with the stock light and found it plenty bright. The problem I had was turning and not seeing where I was going, so I tried tapeing a flashlight to my helmet and it helped. I did buy a 3 bulb led unit for this but havent had a chance to use it. The HID bulb would be nice though.

HID just isn't in my price range for what I need. A helmet light seems to be a better (more affordable) solution. I have been looking at the Lead-Dog helmet light. Lead-Dog makes a great light that you can wire into your electrical system and mounts to the helmet. Adds 35 watts of halogen light to your system.
Lead-Dog helmet light
I changed out to an led taillight bulb. It works great and is durable and bright!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.