Recluce cluch?

22 replies to this topic
  • pkthomas

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Just wondering if many riders here have a recluce cluch on there bike, and if you do, how do you like it? I have a 2002 YZ426 that i will be hare scrambling and i was enterested in opinions about puting a recluce cluch on it. Thanks,

• skisnh

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:20 PM

best mod for technical riding...rock gardens, roots, hill climbs, mud etc...I like the pro model so I can still over ride the clutch.

• TIM696

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:34 PM

my buddy has been running one for years he swares by it i did ride his bike with it and can see the advantages but i just cant get used to it but like i said he wont ride without it

• BBA

Posted January 15, 2010 - 04:48 AM

I have always had negative thoughts about the Rekluse but after riding a KTM 530 with the pro setup Im seriously thinking about one. I was very impressed by it.

• MrBlahh

Posted January 15, 2010 - 10:11 AM

I had doubts but I tried one and fell in love, really makes technical slow stuff so easy, it's like cheating, kinda like trials tires, I can see where they may ban them for competition

• Redlined

Posted January 15, 2010 - 10:29 AM

best mod for technical riding...rock gardens, roots, hill climbs, mud etc...I like the pro model so I can still over ride the clutch.

What he said... I have the Pro on my CR, and I ride tight technical woods, lots of rocks and roots, which are really snotty in the winter months. Other bonuses, the bike rarely dies if you crash, just pick it up and go. And it's much easier to deal with arm pump from clutch fanning. The Pro kits are a lot of loot, but it has been worth it to me.
For a big 4T used in more open riding the benifit would be decreased IMO, but I can't say not it wouldn't still be worthwhile. I have a friend who races a CRF450 in Supermoto, he claims the Rekluse was responsible for moving him from a mid pack finisher to top 3 finisher. He runs a Z-Start with the brake kit (clutch lever operates rear brake), that system might make a lot of sense given the low-end power available on a big 4T.

• pkthomas

Posted January 15, 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for opinions, sounds like it may be worth investing in one.Thanks

• pscook

Posted January 18, 2010 - 09:09 AM

FYI, the Rekluse for the 426 is the exact same as the one on the '03-'04 YZ 450 and the '03-'07 WR450. The only difference is the installation instructions are minimally different between the 450 and the 426. So, if you find a great deal on a Rekluse for an early 450, just download the instructions for the 426 and go for it. Mine has been really fun, it tamed the YZ's power on the trails. Of course, my WR transmission might be a contributing factor, but the auto clutch is a great mod for trails. I am still unconvinced about the application for Supermoto, but on the trails it's pretty wicked.

• mike_dean

Posted January 18, 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have the new EXP Core Rekluse, and love it, won't be without one again, works just like a standard clutch but you can't stall the engine, I've tried on purpose. I've stalled my '06 in a mud race and took 50 kicks to get it going, never again.

• rexbond007

Posted January 18, 2010 - 07:31 PM

i ride technical, and i will never go back to a reg clutch set up

it's sooo sweet....

Edited by rexbond007, January 19, 2010 - 08:10 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LVThumper

Posted January 18, 2010 - 08:36 PM

I had one on my '01 426 and I raced it for 2.5 years here in Southern Nevada Desert, GP, Hare Scrambles, Hare and Hounds, etc and it was AWESOME! We even raced the Vegas to Reno on an '06 YZ 450 and it was perfect!! :banghead: I plan on putting one in my '08 as well.

• tunefx

Posted January 19, 2010 - 05:37 AM

I have the new EXP Core Rekluse, and love it, won't be without one again, works just like a standard clutch but you can't stall the engine, I've tried on purpose. I've stalled my '06 in a mud race and took 50 kicks to get it going, never again.

Exactly!

I have the EXP. It should be in the bike from the factory. It's that good. Absolutely the best and most amazing mod I've ever applied to a bike.

• MrBlahh

Posted January 19, 2010 - 05:47 AM

I sold my wr400/444 because I could not install a rekluse in it, I like the rekluse that much

• pkthomas

Posted January 19, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Everything i hear about the rekluce clutch sounds great, i can't wait to try one Thanks.

• DMC707

Posted January 19, 2010 - 04:57 PM

you'll like it once you get used to it ---- be prepared to change the oil a bit more often though. 2 hours on mine and the oil is toast. (hard riding, might go 5 hours if im just dickin around in the woods)

• 642MX

Posted January 19, 2010 - 06:03 PM

I won't ride without one either.... best mod you can do! :banghead:

• pkthomas

Posted January 20, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for info about changing oil more often, but why is a rekluce harder on the oil? I usually change the oil after every two harescrambles, so do you think i should change oil after every harescramble if i install a rekluce? If you count the practice lap, i probably run 2.5 to 3.5 hours run time depending on the course.Thanks

• 642MX

Posted January 20, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for info about changing oil more often, but why is a rekluce harder on the oil? I usually change the oil after every two harescrambles, so do you think i should change oil after every harescramble if i install a rekluce? If you count the practice lap, i probably run 2.5 to 3.5 hours run time depending on the course.Thanks

The Rekluse tend to build up a little more heat than a standard clutch. I'd change it every race.

• CLenhart

Posted January 20, 2010 - 07:43 PM

If your toasting oil with the Rekluse, then your set up is wrong. I have been running a Rekluse pro in my '08 450F for over two years (with the original clutch plates) and it is STILL perfect (200 plus hours on med/hard setting). I change the oil ever race or every 3-5 ride (Amsoil or Lucus semi syn). Clean everytime... Just bought a 2010, pulled the clutch out of the '08 and swapped them tonight. Couldnt beleive the condition of the clutch! Looked just like the day I put it in. No wear in the basket, no wear on the plates or bearings... Just bitchin! I ride this bike in a scramble series and ride moto, so it gets well used. No doubt in my mind that the clutch could go another year or two without replacment. Rekluse says 5 years with a correct set up... Best four stroke product made in my mind.
PS- Just rode the 2010 with the Rekluse - Holy crap!

CL-

• skisnh

Posted January 21, 2010 - 09:20 AM

If your toasting oil with the Rekluse, then your set up is wrong. I have been running a Rekluse pro in my '08 450F for over two years (with the original clutch plates) and it is STILL perfect (200 plus hours on med/hard setting). I change the oil ever race or every 3-5 ride (Amsoil or Lucus semi syn). Clean everytime... Just bought a 2010, pulled the clutch out of the '08 and swapped them tonight. Couldnt beleive the condition of the clutch! Looked just like the day I put it in. No wear in the basket, no wear on the plates or bearings... Just bitchin! I ride this bike in a scramble series and ride moto, so it gets well used. No doubt in my mind that the clutch could go another year or two without replacment. Rekluse says 5 years with a correct set up... Best four stroke product made in my mind.
PS- Just rode the 2010 with the Rekluse - Holy crap!

CL-

Agreed...I'm changing my oil every other ride and it looks brand new. The reckluse IMO hasn't decreased the clutch life of service life of the oil.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.