Forget the cable, the clutch took a dump

4 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted October 22, 2000 - 02:47 PM

Hey Guys!

Sad day in Mudville,

I changed my oil this morning, in preparation for a great day's riding. The oil filters were fine, and the level was set correctly. No real problems with the clutch other than the chatter. I readjusted the clutch cable so that catch point was as required by the manual.

I started to ride, no problems. Everything was fine, till my first hill climb. The only thing that sounded worse was a bunch of rowdy kids clanging on pots and pans. The clutch went. Finding 1st/N/2nd extremely difficult. I literally need to pound it into gear. Even under throttle to get home, the clutch just screams...BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG!

Okay, we've been here before. I don't want a Yamaha replacement clutch in my bike. I don't trust their OEM clutch parts. Hinson seems to be the way to go. Any suggestions in dealing with Yamaha?

Believe me guys, I will be completely professional with Yamaha. IM NOT GOING TO SCREAM AND THREATEN CLASS ACTION OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I just want them to be responsible.

Other than that, it was a beautiful day.

YZ426 Kicks.

On the cable: there was free play each time I went out riding between the catch point, and released position of the clutch handle. Every time I go out that free play would disappear.

Can the cable stretch?

• YZed

Posted October 23, 2000 - 04:57 PM

I contacted my selling dealer and told them of my basket failure,since I had already replaced the unit with Hinson they refunded me $90.27.That really didn't cover repairs but was better then nothing,they said that is dealer cost on o.e. basket

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4banger

Posted October 24, 2000 - 11:30 PM

The Hinson is a much better basket and the sweetness of the clutch action is well worth the money. Bummer on the reason you have to get one though.

• James_Dean

Posted October 25, 2000 - 06:35 PM

When freeplay disappears it most likely means your clutch plates or friction discs are wearing. Pull it apart and please tell me, are the plates aluminum?? This would explain a rapid wear rate on them. Can you measure if either are out of spec? Do the friction plates or the clutch plates look worn significantly or are there grooves in the tangs of the basket?? The grooves can be caused from pressure on the ends of the friction discs. This makes clutches get grabby when they fall in and out of grooves on the basket.

Just curious about the causes.

• Patman

Posted October 25, 2000 - 07:11 PM

Steel plates. Yamaha offered to inspect my clutch for free, replace it if necessary, or credit me toward a Hinson unit...inspection said it wasn't one of the affected ones...I have four Cross Country events on it now with no problems, still, Hinson goes in anyway next week.

Patman the Clutch Friendly

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.