01 426 tire size? and more..?

10 replies to this topic
  • Lota Fun R

Posted January 13, 2010 - 06:53 PM

I need more traction. I'm in the high so cal desert and traction is at a premium. There is some hard pack that is like asphalt and the rest is real loose.

It has a 110/90-18 on it now, a Maxxis IT med compound, it's half worn out and the only way I can get any traction at all is at 10lbs. of air in it.

How big of rear tire will fit?

I'm looking for a rear that has large knobs that are spaced out and the bigger the better.

Thanks.

• Hutchfamli

Posted January 13, 2010 - 08:36 PM

I've got the maxxis IT 120/80-19 on now and love it. Hooks up real good for me.

• myoung

Posted January 13, 2010 - 09:14 PM

18?

Stock is 19, was the rim changed?

18 would be better for desert, but I don't know if they make a 120 tire for 18" wheel.

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:03 PM

run a 120 maxxis thats what ive got/had on my 426 for a while now and like it

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:41 AM

The widest tire in an 18 that I've seen is a 120. And yes, they will fit. I'm running a 120 (19") right now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave102429

Posted January 14, 2010 - 02:42 PM

I need more traction.

Precise throttle control = more traction (Quit breaking the rear tire loose.)

I'm looking for a rear that has large knobs that are spaced out and the bigger the better.

You just described the ultimate tire for muddy conditions.

The Maxxis IT tires, especially the Desert IT, are pretty skaty to begin with. But they last a long time. The Bridgestone ED78 Desert and Dunlop D739 A/T Desert offer pretty decent traction in the desert. The downside is they're fairly expensive and wear quickly.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 04:45 PM

The Maxxis IT tires, especially the Desert IT, are pretty skaty to begin with. But they last a long time. The Bridgestone ED78 Desert and Dunlop D739 A/T Desert offer pretty decent traction in the desert. The downside is they're fairly expensive and wear quickly.

I used to run both the D739 Desert and the Maxxis, and I pretty much agree with most of what you've said except that I found the 739's were pretty lame on anything but hard pack, and the Maxxis IT hand pretty impressive straight line traction, but doesn't corner very well.

My suggestion is the new Dunlop MX51. I'm using them front and rear now in the desert, and I'm very favorably impressed so far.

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:43 PM

My suggestion is the new Dunlop MX51. I'm using them front and rear now in the desert, and I'm very favorably impressed so far.

I've been using them in the woods and mx tracks here in Southern Indiana.... they work awesome and might be the best tire I've used. My wife totally disagree's... she's a die hard Pirelli fan. :banghead:

• FinchFan194

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:51 PM

I am getting these in the mail on Monday:banana:
http://motoz.us/inde...uct_detail&p=22
Posted Image

• rufusz

Posted January 15, 2010 - 03:31 AM

I am getting these in the mail on Monday:banana:
http://motoz.us/inde...uct_detail&p=22
Posted Image

That's a lot of knobs...would make great ice tire with screws....:banghead:

• FinchFan194

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:19 PM

That's a lot of knobs...would make great ice tire with screws....:banghead:

They actually have other tires with more knobs than the Tracula. My buddy has a set and has about 200 miles on them and they still look new.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.