Why is the 426 hard to start after you stall it.

17 replies to this topic
  • PAKDXYZ

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:39 PM

My 426 runs great, starts right up cold. Always starts first kick when riding if I use the kill switch when I stop, but if I stall the bike it can be a real bear sometimes to get started again. I know its notorious for this just wondering what the mechanics behind this would be, in other words why is it harder to start after stalling as opposed to using the kill switch???

• meyermetal

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:44 PM

Because it is missing 24cc :banghead:

Actually it was designed at the earliest stages of 4-Stroke development

They have figured the starting problem those early first bikes. Adding auto decompression on the cam lobes was a huge help

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:13 PM

The actual reason is that it's more prone to flooding/fouling the plug when stalled or tipped over.

• PAKDXYZ

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:29 PM

The actual reason is that it's more prone to flooding/fouling the plug when stalled or tipped over.

I was thinking it had something to do with flooding, but was just curious.
Thanks

• Mikeb12

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:31 PM

it should not be hard to start. my partner ride s 426 and it fires hot or cold. make sure your hot start is working properly.

• PAKDXYZ

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:44 PM

it should not be hard to start. my partner ride s 426 and it fires hot or cold. make sure your hot start is working properly.

hot start is good, it was replaced about a year ago. And it fires hot fine but only if it is shut down with the kill switch

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2010 - 06:06 PM

Whats your jetting specs?

• PAKDXYZ

Posted January 13, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Whats your jetting specs?

stock jetting. Fuel screw 1 3/4 turns.

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2010 - 06:13 PM

stock jetting. Fuel screw 1 3/4 turns.

First step is to get a JD jet kit and wire the accelerator pump. The stock jetting is horrible in the 426.... or at least it was in mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VFRCaptBob

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:56 PM

Where is a good place to order a JD jet kit? I just started riding an 01 426 and really like it. But it really bogs down when climbing at higher altitudes. I think the hard starting after stalling or falling is mainly flooding. I pull the decomp. lever and give it several kicks to clear out the cylinder if it doesn't start right away. Then try and start it. Works some times.

• rufusz

Posted January 14, 2010 - 02:58 AM

Lean out the pilot a little bit (with the fuel screw)...has huge effect on restarting hot (at least on my bike it does)

• roylo

Posted January 14, 2010 - 04:25 AM

First step is to get a JD jet kit and wire the accelerator pump. The stock jetting is horrible in the 426.... or at least it was in mine.

All four strokes are hard or harder to start after a stall, not just the 426.

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:30 AM

I can cart wheel mine, let it lay upside down for 5 minutes, pull the hot start and it will start on the 3rd kick. When everything is working properly (jetting) they start up quickly no matter what you do.

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:31 AM

Where is a good place to order a JD jet kit? .

The TT store use to carry them or you can order straight from JD.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:50 AM

I can cart wheel mine, let it lay upside down for 5 minutes, pull the hot start and it will start on the 3rd kick. When everything is working properly (jetting) they start up quickly no matter what you do.

But when you don't cartwheel it, it still starts better than that, doesn't it?

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 12:28 PM

But when you don't cartwheel it, it still starts better than that, doesn't it?

She always lights by the third kick. :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Stop dodging. Does it or does it not normally start better if it hasn't been flopped on the ground?

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Stop dodging. Does it or does it not normally start better if it hasn't been flopped on the ground?

lol... Actually with the Rekluse Pro, its very hard to stall it. (but possible under the right conditions)

It makes no difference if its been crashed or not. 1-3 kicks and its starts. If its been crashed, I pull the hot start... if its cold i pull the choke.... if its not flooded or cold, I just kick it. This applies to the 290 too.
:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.