FMF 4.1 System Incorrect Mounting Hardware

7 replies to this topic
  • motomc65

Posted January 13, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hi All,

FMF addressed this issue (issues related to stock mounting hardware), and provided great support for there product. It's a great exhaust system.

Edited by motomc65, January 13, 2010 - 05:21 PM.
Issue was addressed by FMF

• aedwards07

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:49 PM

Why not just buy a shorter bolt?

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:08 PM

Because he'd rather vent.

• 8upnmx

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I like to know who has the best fit & finish. I'm thinking about an aftermarket exaust this summer for my 09 YZ450. I'm leaning toward Dr.D. full ti. any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dvn

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:42 PM

Don't you have a bolt kit in your toolbox? If not, you should invest in one. It will come in very handy. They are very reasonable through Rocky Mountain MC.

• motomc65

Posted January 13, 2010 - 05:23 PM

I did not think I should have to go out and buy a bolt when investing this kind of money. Anyway, FMF addressed the issue for me, so all is good. Definitly not venting, but really wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue.

The FMF full Titanium 4.1 system is well worth the money. Very good quality, and I was amazed at how much lighter it was over stock, even though the muffler is substatially larger. The only real downside to this exhaust is probably in the use of springs on the header. This must be an FMF trademark or something.

Performance is also very noticably better, and it came stock with the 94db insert. Even with the insert in place, performance is still way up over stock.

• dvn

Posted January 14, 2010 - 04:11 AM

The only real downside to this exhaust is probably in the use of springs on the header. This must be an FMF trademark or something.

I hate spring mounted exhausts. I recently purchased the stainless steel megabomb for my 09 KX250F and it was a solid mount. No springs! I don't know if this is a feature of the stainless headers only or a new design for all FMF's headers. When the time comes, I will be buying a stainless megabomb for my YZ450F as well. I know they are a bit heavier but they are cheaper and MUCH more durable.

• KJ790

Posted January 14, 2010 - 05:51 AM

The only real downside to this exhaust is probably in the use of springs on the header. This must be an FMF trademark or something.

It's not only an FMF thing, Pro Circuit and Yoshimura also use the spring mounting method. I have had 2 FMF pipe that had solid mounts in the past, but almost all of them are spring mount. Personally I like the solid mount better, but I guess there are some advantages to spring mounting. It is nice being able to remove the header quickly without having to replace the crush gasket.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.