2010 seat hight

20 replies to this topic
  • delmas

Posted January 13, 2010 - 06:29 AM

i noticed that the seat is listed at 39 inches and ground clearance is 15 inches. that seems very tall.

any comments

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2010 - 07:25 AM

The '09 model was 38.9 at the saddle and had 14.7" of clearance vs. the 2010 at 39.4 and 15. Sounds like you're nit-picking.

The rear tire is nominally 27" tall, and you have 12" of suspension travel, meaning that the bottom of the rear fender must minimally be at 39". Unless you want a swayback seat with no padding at all, I'd say you're lucky it isn't taller.

Also remember that the seat height is measured at full extension of the suspension, meaning that when you are on the bike, it will be 3-4" lower.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 13, 2010 - 08:03 AM

Yeah., where is the sag? It's a wash

• delmas

Posted January 13, 2010 - 11:33 AM

The '09 model was 38.9 at the saddle and had 14.7" of clearance vs. the 2010 at 39.4 and 15. Sounds like you're nit-picking.

The rear tire is nominally 27" tall, and you have 12" of suspension travel, meaning that the bottom of the rear fender must minimally be at 39". Unless you want a swayback seat with no padding at all, I'd say you're lucky it isn't taller.

Also remember that the seat height is measured at full extension of the suspension, meaning that when you are on the bike, it will be 3-4" lower.

No I am not nit picking.I bought an 2010 yesterday so it did not stop me from buying the bike Just comparing to the other Japanese bikes .They are around 33 to 34 seat and 13 ground clearance.

Don't be so thin skinned. You must have thought I was bad mouthing Yamaha.All you needed to say was that Yamaha is taller than the others.Obviously Yamaha has hit a home run with this bike.Glad I have it.

Edited by delmas, January 13, 2010 - 11:38 AM.
xx

• Beatcoaster

Posted January 13, 2010 - 12:31 PM

I'm 6'4" and it is perfect for me off the showroom floor!..:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2010 - 12:59 PM

Don't be so thin skinned.

Me? Indeed.

The CRF450 is 37.8"
The RMZ450 is 37.6"
The KLX450-R is 37"
The 450SX-F is 38.8"

So, yes, you're correct, the Yamaha sits a little higher, but not the 5-6" you mentioned, and not higher than an '06-'09.

• delmas

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:33 PM

Me? Indeed.

The CRF450 is 37.8"
The RMZ450 is 37.6"
The KLX450-R is 37"
The 450SX-F is 38.8"

So, yes, you're correct, the Yamaha sits a little higher, but not the 5-6" you mentioned, and not higher than an '06-'09.

You are right.when looked at the specs for some reason I remembered 33 to 34. So anyway,i am thrilled to have this new bike.My first motorcycle was a 1974 I think 175 yam enduro red tank ,well noe i am back to Yam.
i still have my 07 crf450

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:04 PM

My first motorcycle was a 1974 I think 175 yam enduro

Seat height on that one was quite a bit less than 39", wasn't it?

• MX4Life

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:24 PM

I thought it was me, my 2010 is taller then my 09 with tall seat. Not complaining, just saying.

• delmas

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:33 PM

Seat height on that one was quite a bit less than 39", wasn't it?

got that right. it was a great bike we rode at croom in fl.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eazrider

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:45 PM

My 2010 is a bit taller than my '06...and the specs, I believe, show additional wheel travel, front and rear, of .4 inches....It feels taller as well...

• Scrubba

Posted January 15, 2010 - 01:35 AM

funny thing i noticed... when some of the pros like bubba and hill sit on their bikes, the bottom of their boots touch the ground as in flat footed, and they are not streaching for it at all.

do you think their subframes have been lowered?

• delmas

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:12 AM

funny thing i noticed... when some of the pros like bubba and hill sit on their bikes, the bottom of their boots touch the ground as in flat footed, and they are not streaching for it at all.

could be ricky had all his done like that

• ProMed

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:16 AM

For sure. Not to mention different links, seats, and peg positions.

Also- different length shocks effect the seat height as well. If I remember right, a 4mm shorter shock may give you around 10mm less seat height.

Edited by ProMed, January 15, 2010 - 05:42 AM.

• ProMed

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:40 AM

These are the measurements I found:

Seat Heights
RMZ450 - 37.6"
CRF450R - 37.6"
KX450F - 38"
450SX-F - 38.8"
YZ450F - 39.4"

Ground Clearance
CRF450R - 13.1"
KX450F - 13.4"
RMZ450 - 13.8"
YZ450F - 15"
450SX-F - 15.1"

This is much more of a spread than I expected. I know at least one of reviews talked about the YZF being better for shorter riders and the ergos being "sportbike like". They also said the KX was better for larger riders. Given that the KX is 1.4" shorter, that's the opposite of what I expected.

I was expecting more of difference in engine compartment size with the more the new compact YZ engine. YZ ground clearance = 15" vs. KX = 13.4", so 1.6" lower for the KX, compared to 1.4" lower with seat height.

I wonder how well the YZ could perform if it was around 1.5" lower overall. Ground clearance would be on par with the rest and the weight would then be moved even lower.

• NE14MX

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:41 AM

It seems a squatting setup is the norm for the Supercross pros. I think it's a compromise for the whoops adding stability. Also most seem to run their forks super hard, granted for their speed but also for the possibility of landing short on one of the jumps. This may not be a supple setup for us normal people but for the speeds and the conditioning those guys are in it works.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 15, 2010 - 11:20 AM

These are the measurements I found:

Seat Heights
RMZ450 - 37.6"
CRF450R - 37.6"
KX450F - 38"
450SX-F - 38.8"
YZ450F - 39.4"

Ground Clearance
CRF450R - 13.1"
KX450F - 13.4"
RMZ450 - 13.8"
YZ450F - 15"
450SX-F - 15.1"

This is much more of a spread than I expected. I know at least one of reviews talked about the YZF being better for shorter riders and the ergos being "sportbike like". They also said the KX was better for larger riders. Given that the KX is 1.4" shorter, that's the opposite of what I expected.

I was expecting more of difference in engine compartment size with the more the new compact YZ engine. YZ ground clearance = 15" vs. KX = 13.4", so 1.6" lower for the KX, compared to 1.4" lower with seat height.

I wonder how well the YZ could perform if it was around 1.5" lower overall. Ground clearance would be on par with the rest and the weight would then be moved even lower.

In stock form could be. But I had a '09 KX and with the mod's that I do to each and every bike (because of my height) I get I was able to open up the YZ the most. My YZ sits higher than my KX and I like it, but thats me.

• Thumper38

Posted January 15, 2010 - 11:40 AM

I am riding my new YZ this weekend for the first time but it does feel like there is more room??

• ProMed

Posted January 15, 2010 - 12:29 PM

In stock form could be. But I had a '09 KX and with the mod's that I do to each and every bike (because of my height) I get I was able to open up the YZ the most. My YZ sits higher than my KX and I like it, but thats me.

Which YZ do you have that you were able to open up more? I'm just going off the review on Motorcycle USA below for the '10 models. The advantage of the YZ having more ground clearance is that this could offer less of a penalty when running lowered pegs, hopefully the aftermarket will be able to come up with a great solution that will not leave your boots too vulnerable.

Yamaha’s ergonomics aim at shorter riders, even more so than the CRF’s. The bike feels similar to the Kawasaki in terms of width and the seat is flat allowing the rider to maneuver his body forward or backward unencumbered. However, the spacial relationship between the rider triangle makes for an extremely tight cockpit. It’s almost sportbike-like in how compacted the rider control surfaces feel.

“The rider compartment was a little cramped even for me,” says Armstrong who stands 5-foot, 7-inches. “I like to ride forward on the bike and sit high on the tank. I feel the bike would be a little roomier with some taller bars.”

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2010 - 12:47 PM

A lot of it is what you're used to. My son started riding a YZ250F at 13, when he was around 5' 9" or 10", and rode that bike until '06, when he was 16, and about 6' 2". He ran Tag YZ High bend bars the whole time, and as anyone who has ever used them knows, that bar is only high in relation to the YZ bend.

That year, we bought him an '06 YZ450, and from reading the feedback here, I installed Pro-Taper Windhams on it before it was ridden anywhere but the street. The pegs remain stock, my son has grown to 6' 5", and has never once complained about the bike feeling cramped in any way. He rides right up on the tank, and corners the bike very well. He grew into it like this, and it's never bothered him.

The comment the test rider made about bars doesn't surprise me at all, since YZF's have been built with notoriously low bars since at least '06, and the 6mm that they were supposed to have raised them in '07 didn't help. It's been one of the first and most consistent change recommendations made by a number of test riders for at least since then. IMO, the first thing I would likely do with any of them is stick a set of Windhams on the clamp to move the bars forward and up.

But, of course, bars, seat height, and peg position, along with all other elements of rider fit are only subject to any given set of rules up to a point, and are otherwise deeply personal. What works for me won't necessarily work for you, and what works for you won't always work for the other guy. My point is that just because one rider considers it cramped doesn't mean that anyone else will, or won't.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.