getting ready to sell my bike

25 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:17 PM

are there any plastic with the graphics on it already?

Yes polisport make plastics with graphics molded in.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:20 AM

Or they could be wrong.

Or I could be wrong. :ride:

It could also be that the OEM's place restrictions on their aftermarket production, or that Acerbis cuts corners on it to do it cheaper, but I can't really say.

According to the article in Dirt Rider mag Acerbis does produce the OEM Yamaha plastic. Maybe the specs for Yamaha OEM plastic are different than for the stuff Acerbis sells under their own label? Kinda hard to imagine them having different molds for Yammie and their own stuff...
Anywho the Acerbis shrouds on my 06 fit as well as OEM, but they don't retain the metal spacers like the OEM shrouds did.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:51 AM

The aluminum T washers in the fenders, side plates and stuff aren't included with the Acerbis aftermarket parts, and in the cases where I've changed out factory plastics for Acerbis, it's been necessary to transfer those. I've found it necessary to ream the holes the T washers fit in to make them work. What could be happening is that the plastics are delivered unfinished to Yamaha, who then does the final drilling/milling/fitting of such hardware. One way or other, they're a little bit different.

Also, the T washers and oval washers that are used in the shrouds and side number plates on the '06 are not listed as separately serviced in the parts book, so one would guess they come with the plastic. Then when you look up the fenders, you find them called out as separate parts, not included with the fenders. :ride: Having not bought OEM plastics in a very long while, I don't know.

The missing "feature" I mentioned was a "hook" at the upper rear corner of the side number plates for a 2001 YZ250F. The OEM plates had them, the Acerbis didn't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:54 AM

Better rethink your thinking on that as it relates to the "special edition" colors. Their blue stuff is close to AM pricing, and is, IMO clearly a better quality and fit. But their yellow and white stuff is marked up considerably to roughly double AM prices.

and don't get me started on the cost of 50th anniv. Graphics....:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:01 PM

Yes polisport make plastics with graphics molded in.

here check this out:

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:03 PM

and don't get me started on the cost of 50th anniv. Graphics....:ride:

What? You think $100 each side is too much? :lol:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.