getting ready to sell my bike

25 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted January 12, 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have an 07 yz450 that im starting the process of selling. I would like to find some stock plastic/graphics but having a hard time finding the original type. Im going to put new grips and tires on as well. If i spend a couple hundred bucks to clean it up Im thinking it will pay off. any recommendations?

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted January 12, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have an 07 yz450 that im starting the process of selling. I would like to find some stock plastic/graphics but having a hard time finding the original type. Im going to put new grips and tires on as well. If i spend a couple hundred bucks to clean it up Im thinking it will pay off. any recommendations?

Appearance is important so you will get most of your money back on the investment. Good maintenance records are helpful and of course a strong running bike.

• DPW

Posted January 12, 2010 - 08:24 PM

best place/price for OEM graphics assuming the bike is blue is http://www.factoryeffex.com

• mediumfast

Posted January 12, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Acerbis sells plastics at a reasonable price. You can get a set thru any online retailer. OEM Yamaha plastic isn't that expensive either.

• mx369

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:15 PM

Motosports.com has complete sets very resonabal

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 13, 2010 - 08:39 PM

Acerbis sells plastics at a reasonable price. You can get a set thru any online retailer. OEM Yamaha plastic isn't that expensive either.

not too sure of the oem yamaha plastic statement. I remember when I did my 426 they wanted almost double what I got my ufos for. Maybe its different for 450's?

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:49 AM

OEM Yamaha plastic isn't that expensive either.

not too sure of the oem yamaha plastic statement. I remember when I did my 426 they wanted almost double what I got my ufos for. Maybe its different for 450's?

TT OEM shows blue radiator shrouds for $22 each, white for $39. Fenders are $25 each for the blue ans $38/$44 for the white.

Factory graphics, on the other hand, are $85 EACH SIDE for the blue model and $105 for the white. That's only the shroud graphics, and again, it's each side, so it's double that for a set.

• BlackT5

Posted January 14, 2010 - 07:24 AM

I saved all my stock plastics from my 08 right after I bought it. The cost of stock graphics alone are reason for anyone reading this to do the same.

Yamaha plastics are really cheap. Almost the same price as aftermarket. I'm glad they fixed their thinking on pricing.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Yamaha plastics are really cheap. Almost the same price as aftermarket. I'm glad they fixed their thinking on pricing.

Better rethink your thinking on that as it relates to the "special edition" colors. Their blue stuff is close to AM pricing, and is, IMO clearly a better quality and fit. But their yellow and white stuff is marked up considerably to roughly double AM prices.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:58 AM

Acerbis makes the OEM plastic as far as I know, and my Acerbis shrouds fit perfectly on my bike. For graphics, just pick up some OEM replica from FX or N-style as I think they both offer them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:18 AM

Acerbis makes the OEM plastic as far as I know...

I'm not at all certain of that. While Acerbis is generally a very good product, I have bought things from them in the past that lacked certain design elements of the OEM part I was replacing. They would still be one of my top aftermarket choices, however.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:33 AM

I'm not at all certain of that. While Acerbis is generally a very good product, I have bought things from them in the past that lacked certain design elements of the OEM part I was replacing. They would still be one of my top aftermarket choices, however.

There was an article in the latest Dirt Rider on Acerbis, and I thought it said they manufactured the OEM Yamaha plastic but I'm probably wrong. I know they are OEM for 2-3 companies, I just can't recall which ones now :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:46 AM

There was an article in the latest Dirt Rider on Acerbis, and I thought it said they manufactured the OEM Yamaha plastic but I'm probably wrong.

Or they could be wrong.

Or I could be wrong. :banghead:

It could also be that the OEM's place restrictions on their aftermarket production, or that Acerbis cuts corners on it to do it cheaper, but I can't really say.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Or I could be wrong. :banghead:

grayracer wrong? Yeah right! :bonk:

• humpness

Posted January 14, 2010 - 01:35 PM

are there any plastic with the graphics on it already?

• cowboyona426

Posted January 14, 2010 - 01:45 PM

are there any plastic with the graphics on it already?

You could look on Ebay or TT classifieds for a set that someone has pulled off and it selling.

• BlackT5

Posted January 14, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Better rethink your thinking on that as it relates to the "special edition" colors. Their blue stuff is close to AM pricing, and is, IMO clearly a better quality and fit. But their yellow and white stuff is marked up considerably to roughly double AM prices.

Your picky. I should have stated that I was refering to blue plastics only. My bike is blue so thats all I know and can speak about.

• rn103

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:25 PM

I second the notion that Acerbis plastic for Yamaha can be lacking. On my 426 yrs ago, I was unimpressed when some of the Acerbis pieces did not come with the metal spacers that OEM Yamaha plastics have. They also skinnied down the front fender by about an inch width-wise...I remember I kept looking at the front fender thinking something was different and once I started measuring things that was it. I guess it might save a couple ounces of weight by doing that, but I am just mentioning it because it definitely isn't the same as OEM. About a year ago I bought a set of Yamaha OEM plastics for my 06 450F through Yamaha and they were literally neck and neck price wise vs. Acerbis. Yamaha's showed up with all the metal spacers in there and everything so I couldn't have been happier.

Like already said the SE colors are double the price though which makes absolutely no sense! Whoever is the decision-maker at Yami over that one needs fired!

I have heard the Polisport Plastics are the best non-OEM aftermarker stuff for Yami's now, but have not had a piece in my hands to be the judge myself.

• jffsnlsn

Posted January 15, 2010 - 08:59 PM

My nephew got Polisport IPd's for less than $150

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=847920

• firemanmatt82

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:10 PM

Honestly, I just replaced everything on my 426. You can shop around everywhere but the prices are all pretty close. You might save a dollar or two or five here and there, but you will make that up in shipping in other places. You will spend over a hundred for sure, so find a place that has free shipping for spending over a hundred. I personally have a very good working relationship with Dennis Kirk and I get taken care of very well through them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.