Clutch Cable has me WIRED!

2 replies to this topic
  • YZ426_Kicks

Posted October 22, 2000 - 04:02 AM

Hey Guys!

Thanks for reading!

Okay, here's another one of those rookie questions. I need help.

The clutch cable on my yammie appears to have a mind of its own, or does it?

When I start riding, the "catch point" for the clutch is about 3/4 of the way out from compression. As the day of riding moves on, that point will move farther out till its almost to the point of full extension of the clutch handle. What gives?

I check the adjustment by the lever on the case, no problems, everything's tight. The cable is intact, no visible signs of damage. It does appear (not sure) that the fine tuning adjustment wheel on the clutch handle is turning. Once set, it appears nothing hold it in its locked position. ( Other than the notched rubber jacket that slips over it? )

Where am I going wrong, or is this one of the tell tale signs of the clutch woes striking the 2000 426?

What is the proper way to adjust the clutch cable on this bike? I want to make sure I'm doing it right and not at fault.

Please help. I don't want to be out there and lose the cable. Getting stuck is fun, but not this way!

Thanks for replying!

God Bless!

YZ426 Kicks

[This message has been edited by YZ426 Kicks (edited 10-22-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted October 22, 2000 - 11:21 AM

Randy: Is your lever free play changing as well? I mean, does the lever keep that little bit of play at the perch? If that play remains the same and only the engagement of the plates is moving further out, then your clutch appears to be going away. Do you have a lot of hours on the bike and do you think you slip the clutch excessively? I'm also wondering if the plates are slipping more as the engine gets hot which maybe a result of the clutch springs getting weaker. A possible quick fix might be inserting washer on one end of the springs to get more pressure at the plates. If you can get your hands on some spark plug base washers, they are the correct size for this. The typical clutch lever free play is set by having just enough play between the lever and perch so that you can just barely slip a nickel in the gap. Good luck and let us know what you found.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 10-22-2000).]

• MikeOK

Posted October 22, 2000 - 01:14 PM

Randy- double check your cable routing. I ended up using a couple of zip ties to hold mine against the frame behind the front fender. Made mine much more friendly...

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.