Starter Question

3 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha_Chuck

Posted January 12, 2010 - 10:14 AM

First off, my starter works perfectly fine but the last few times I went riding (2 monthes ago or more) when I pushed the button there would be a 50/50 chance of it doing nothing. When nothing would happen, all I had to do was slightly engage my kick start then it would turn over. I went to start it yesterday and it would not do anything...and yes the battery has a full charge. I also had a YFZ 450 that did this too but ended up selling it before I got it fixed so I'm guessing it's a common problem. However, I searched it and there was nothing related to this. The only thing I found that may be usefull is some guys say to grease the starter shaft and I'm not quite sure how this is done. BTW my bike is an '04.

• William1

Posted January 14, 2010 - 02:08 AM

I would first try a different button on the bar. Mot of the Yamaha's, you can swap the kill for the E start button. If the problem goes away, that is it. Next might be the starter relay though these rarely fail. Only way to test it is to swap in a known good one. Next would be a damaged starter armature. To have this checked (and fixed, if possible) you'll need to take it to an auto electric shop and have them test it on the growler.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drz=fun

Posted January 15, 2010 - 01:04 AM

I have a 09 wr450 it doesn't do it all the time but occasionally does,i think its just up on the compression stroke,which is not allowing it to start of the button i just give it a little rock in gear then hit the button.

• jayh300

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:05 AM

I have a 09 wr450 it doesn't do it all the time but occasionally does,i think its just up on the compression stroke,which is not allowing it to start of the button i just give it a little rock in gear then hit the button.

that is exactly what my 06 does at time....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.