what size/height/bend handlebars

8 replies to this topic
  • mattyd1977

Posted January 12, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Team

Is there any way to determine the best size/height/bend bar for your riding style, I have fitted high bend, low bend bars and cant get comfortable at all, standing on the pags feels good with high bars but terrible when sitting and vice versa.
I ride enduro and mx as well as just playing around with the boys any advice appreciated

Matt

• Ogener

Posted January 12, 2010 - 10:04 AM

I'm sure gray will chime in shortly, but a lot of guys have had good results with the whindam bend bars. For your case maybe you can find a bend that is in the middle when it comes to height between the two that you have tried, then you will have some what of a compromise.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 12, 2010 - 10:08 AM

Windham bend with 10mm risers for me works really well.

• mediumfast

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:25 PM

I'm almost 6' 2" and I'm very comfy with Windham bend protapers with tall risers. I'm gonna give the GYTR optional top clamp a try on my 2010.

There is no universal rule about handlebar bends. You can make an educated guess based on your body but basically it comes down to trial and error. I would recommend you check out other people's bikes to see how they feel. I knew I needed a tall bar because of my height which narrowed down the choices.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted January 12, 2010 - 09:05 PM

mattyd how tall are you? What is you riding style?

For instance I am 5'11" and I stand a lot and I have Renthal twinwalls (06YZf bend) they are low and have very little sweep to keep me over the fron end. To me the best way to corner a YZ450f is to ride on the front end. I know Dubach does. . .

If you are tall or sit a lot then disregard my setup. . .

• 2005Yamaha

Posted January 12, 2010 - 09:07 PM

i am 5'10", stock 08 450 bars were a little low, got a sore back sometimes, from leaning over when standing. I was going to get windams had them on my last bike and liked them, but then I got some barely used stock 08-09 ktm neken bars for free and they are just right, a little taller and less swept. Plus they are blueish so look different.

Edited by 2005Yamaha, January 12, 2010 - 09:09 PM.
spelling error

• ectm3

Posted January 13, 2010 - 11:44 PM

Id try the rc bend.Not to be mistaken with the rc high bend.If you re a aggresive rider,you will love em.

• mattyd1977

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:29 AM

Sorry guys, I should have noted that I am about 5' 11' but with short stumpy legs and a long body, I tried that standard pro tapers that it come with and then tried the pro taper pastrana low bends and they were to low for me so now I have renthal rc bend high bars and they seem to high.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:48 AM

Try a set of the Pro Taper Windham bends. They will seem a bit high while seated, but one of the things about this bend is that it moves the grip forward about 15mm compared with the YZ bends. With your longish torso, this will open up the cockpit, so to speak, and give you more room. More improtantly, it will give you far better control while standing, and you'll be able to stand in a more upright, relaxed stance for longer periods without feeling as if you're leaning against the bars, or hanging back by your arms to avoid it.

I'm about 5'10", but I was 6'0" once, so I'm kind of opposite you in one way, and alike in another; long limbs, shorter torso. These bars work exceptionally well for me.

An alternate solution is a new top clamp that allows you to move the bars ahead of their current position.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.