junk in oil filter

3 replies to this topic
  • cjxrider125

Posted January 11, 2010 - 06:12 PM

just cleaned my re-usable oil filter after about 8 hours of run time. i found a bunch of differnt kinds of material come out... brown bits, black bits, and even a little bit of metal glitter. this cant be normal, can it?

i bought the bike new and it only has a total of 14 hours on it.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:13 AM

Yes it can be normal for the metal shavings on a new bike to be in the oil filter. This is one reason I use the paper filters for the first few hrs on a new bike, then swap over to my Scotts. 8 hrs - please tell me you got at least 2 oil changes in this time? 14hrs seems excessive unless you were real easy on it the first 12hrs to be getting junk in the filter
The black - did you by chance ride in a deep mud puddle or stream?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjxrider125

Posted January 12, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yes it can be normal for the metal shavings on a new bike to be in the oil filter. This is one reason I use the paper filters for the first few hrs on a new bike, then swap over to my Scotts. 8 hrs - please tell me you got at least 2 oil changes in this time? 14hrs seems excessive unless you were real easy on it the first 12hrs to be getting junk in the filter
The black - did you by chance ride in a deep mud puddle or stream?

this was my 4th oil change but only the second time cleaning the filter. i only had the stock paper filter in for about an hour, then switched over to the steel.

i dont recall going threw any streams or deep mud puddle. could it be clutch material?

• cowboyona426

Posted January 12, 2010 - 11:16 AM

Most likely yes, clutch material and completely normal. Unless there was A LOT of it, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.