yzf 400 spark plug

9 replies to this topic
  • Flanders87

Posted January 11, 2010 - 01:24 PM

Whats the correct spark plug for a '99? Im having a hard time starting the bike and im wondering if maybe its the plug, thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2010 - 01:40 PM

NGK CR8-E, or one of the iridium variants.

• husqy360

Posted January 11, 2010 - 01:44 PM

the oem spark plug is -ngk cr9e-
when i look for oem parts i go here http://partsfinder.o...EM/YamahaDB.asp.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2010 - 01:52 PM

the oem spark plug is -ngk cr9e-

Not according to the Yamaha Owner Service Manual. The Parts book lists both, but the OSM specifies a CR8-E. A CR9-E will foul in all but the hottest weather.

• Flanders87

Posted January 11, 2010 - 01:58 PM

thanks thats what i put in it. The other day it kicked over 4 times, all but one on the first kick. Today i cant get it to turn over at all, i've been kicking for several hours on and off. ITs been in my basement so it isn't the temperature, any ideas what could be wrong?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2010 - 02:04 PM

If you did not run it up to operating temperature after starting it, it's quite likely a fouled plug. The 400's and 426's were quite particular about that; they don't like to be started and then shut down cold, especially not repeatedly. If you're going to start it, ride it.

• Flanders87

Posted January 11, 2010 - 02:33 PM

so if that is the problem, and the only problem if i clean the plug with a wire brush should it fix itself or do i need to buy a new plug?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2010 - 02:39 PM

Wire brushes are never recommended for that task because they can leave conductive tracks on the insulator. Sandblasting is preferable. Sometimes you can get them clean enough to work just by drying them with carb or contact cleaner, but if such a plug starts the engine, you will definitely want to run the engine for a while to burn the plug clean.

• Flanders87

Posted January 11, 2010 - 04:16 PM

thanks ill just replace it

• rufusz

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:03 AM

It's very cheap to replace a spark plug, but in case of emergency or riding for a couple of days : use some sanding paper to clean both of the electrodes of the spark plug (does not apply to iridium plugs) and then hold the plug over flame (preferably gas, like an oven. not wood or similar) for a while.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.