2010 YZ450F Issues

31 replies to this topic
  • idigdirt

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:27 PM

I had major trouble with the throttle response as well. I was riding a CRF150R then got the new YZ450F, I got arm pump riding from my truck to the track and had to pull off the track after four turns. My friend told me about a cam in the throttle, I called Sam at G2Ergonomics and asked him if he had a throttle cam for the new 450 and he said he did. It's not listed on his web page but I think it's the same as the 09'. I used the 400 cam which mellows out the initial hit the most and it work AWESOME. The bike is still hard for me to hang on too but it's 1000 percent better now. Sam also said he can make a cam that is even mellower than the 400 he sells. I've had five rides now but I may have him make me a super mellow one.

• Bambislayer

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:47 AM

I rode one of these at the track yesterday for the first time. Let me give you my input. (background is I currently ride both a 2004 YZ250 and a 2006 CRF450 and have never ridden Yamaha's 06+ suspension)

1. Starting. Hard to start. Didnt try cracking the throttle open any as that is pretty much the opposite of what we have all been told to do for so long so just didnt think of it. When it lit off, it idled very nice and smooth.

2. Starting off. It seemed like it needed to have a lot of throttle and clutch slippage to get going or it was going to die. Since a random guy at the track who I didnt know offered to let me ride his 2 hour old bike out of the blue I didnt want to seem like a noob and stall it so maybe I erred on the high side but it just seemed like it would die if I didnt apply a lot of throttle and slip the clutch a good bit which is a lot different than my CRF450R.

3. Power. The bike made usable power. The off idle snatchiness was there and a bit annoying but not something one could overcome. The power overall seemed very linear and mellow. Probably less tiring than something with a hit but definitely less entertaining too. My 06 CRF450R with just a Akrapovic slip on has a much bigger hit and feels a lot faster.

4. Suspension. Hands down the best suspension I have ever ridden out of the box and even compared to some set ups from the good suspension tuners. I weigh just under 200 pounds and this bike's suspension soaked up all the little small chop beautifully but yet provided plenty of bottoming resistance.

5. Weight. Didnt have to pick it up fortunately, but going into the corners with the clutch in on the brakes the weight was definitely noticable. I was riding my YZ250 yesterday and the ~20 pound weight difference was noticable. The 450 seemed like it wanted to run through the berms going into corners. I had to rethink my lines a lot.

Being a certifiable motorcycle nut and currently owning a YZ250, a CR500 and a CRF450R would I buy one? If the weight thing wasnt such an issue and if they fixed the snatchy throttle I would consider it. The biggest thing holding me back however is price which will of course come down. A new '09 Honda 450 can be had right now out the door for less than $5k in some places and with some suspension work and few other add ons be just as good if not better for a lot less. We all know once we get the new Yammie 450, we would trick it out too and that would add up FAST. Over 10k for a dirt bike is CRAZY.

• APlusAutoParts

Posted January 25, 2010 - 04:19 AM

I just joined this website for the exact starting problems you guys just mentioned, i just wanted to say thank you

• Thumper38

Posted January 25, 2010 - 07:14 AM

I have no starting problems as of yet! Just find the compression stroke and let in rip!

• Mike546

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:45 PM

Mine stars 1 or two kicks now. I only had a problem the first time I started it. Well that's not completely true , I had to kick it 50 times on Sunday and it still wouldn't start. Then my brother told me that I had my exhaust plug still in the pipe. After i took it out I held it wide open for 15 kicks, closed the throttle, found tdc and it fired on the first kick.

• ProMed

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:34 PM

I rode one of these at the track yesterday for the first time. Let me give you my input. (background is I currently ride both a 2004 YZ250 and a 2006 CRF450 and have never ridden Yamaha's 06+ suspension)

1. Starting. Hard to start. Didnt try cracking the throttle open any as that is pretty much the opposite of what we have all been told to do for so long so just didnt think of it. When it lit off, it idled very nice and smooth.

2. Starting off. It seemed like it needed to have a lot of throttle and clutch slippage to get going or it was going to die. Since a random guy at the track who I didnt know offered to let me ride his 2 hour old bike out of the blue I didnt want to seem like a noob and stall it so maybe I erred on the high side but it just seemed like it would die if I didnt apply a lot of throttle and slip the clutch a good bit which is a lot different than my CRF450R.

3. Power. The bike made usable power. The off idle snatchiness was there and a bit annoying but not something one could overcome. The power overall seemed very linear and mellow. Probably less tiring than something with a hit but definitely less entertaining too. My 06 CRF450R with just a Akrapovic slip on has a much bigger hit and feels a lot faster.

4. Suspension. Hands down the best suspension I have ever ridden out of the box and even compared to some set ups from the good suspension tuners. I weigh just under 200 pounds and this bike's suspension soaked up all the little small chop beautifully but yet provided plenty of bottoming resistance.

5. Weight. Didnt have to pick it up fortunately, but going into the corners with the clutch in on the brakes the weight was definitely noticable. I was riding my YZ250 yesterday and the ~20 pound weight difference was noticable. The 450 seemed like it wanted to run through the berms going into corners. I had to rethink my lines a lot.

Being a certifiable motorcycle nut and currently owning a YZ250, a CR500 and a CRF450R would I buy one? If the weight thing wasnt such an issue and if they fixed the snatchy throttle I would consider it. The biggest thing holding me back however is price which will of course come down. A new '09 Honda 450 can be had right now out the door for less than $5k in some places and with some suspension work and few other add ons be just as good if not better for a lot less. We all know once we get the new Yammie 450, we would trick it out too and that would add up FAST. Over 10k for a dirt bike is CRAZY.

Thanks for sharing this!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dvn

Posted January 25, 2010 - 05:54 PM

Mine stars 1 or two kicks now. I only had a problem the first time I started it. Well that's not completely true , I had to kick it 50 times on Sunday and it still wouldn't start. Then my brother told me that I had my exhaust plug still in the pipe. After i took it out I held it wide open for 15 kicks, closed the throttle, found tdc and it fired on the first kick.

Been there, done that! :ride:

• boosted22

Posted January 26, 2010 - 02:30 AM

over 10k hahaha, yep thats exactly what we have to pay here in aussie land, $10200 too be correct, so by the time we do our mods were looking at any were from 12-14 for basic mods..

ohh and i have to give mine a few kicks when she first gets fired up. but after that its ok usally 1-2 kicks, and dont really notice any problems taking off too, plus i have had me brother and 1 mate go for a ride and none of them stall'd it so all good so far..

• herr_bob

Posted February 03, 2010 - 12:35 AM

My only issue with my YZ450-2010 is when on stand its leaning to the right side,
has something happend to my bike?
or is the frame a little lower on left side?

Rgrds Niklas

• APlusAutoParts

Posted February 03, 2010 - 07:26 AM

i havnt noticed if one side is higher or not on mine, but i will check. I dont like how mine stays on the stand at all, i feel like its going to fall of it

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2010 - 07:51 AM

My only issue with my YZ450-2010 is when on stand its leaning to the right side,
has something happend to my bike?

I dont like how mine stays on the stand at all, i feel like its going to fall of it

My '06 was a bit wobbly that way before I put a skid plate on it. The factory glide plate is slightly lower than the frame, as it should be, and is narrower that the spread between frame rails. That gives the bike only about a 5-6" base. Modify the top of your stand so the bike sits on its frame.

• Skotten

Posted February 28, 2010 - 12:02 PM

When I first got my red 250f I spent hours kicking it, sometimes she fired up ok and the worst time it gave me training pain in my a** for the next three days.

The the at least on the red bikes and the yellow ones, there is a decompression valve, which is operated by a small weight on the end of the camshaft. This weight only works up until a certain rpm after that it is not operational. So if you kick your four stroke bike over too hard it will not start easily. I worked this out after, adjusting my valves, and rejetting my bike and it still wouldn´t start, new plug still wouldn´t start..... During the millionth tear down, lots of bad language, a case of beer, a heart attack I found by chance somewhere a discussion about how decompression valves work. it closes above 750 rpm. I went out to the shed the next day put it back together and pushed the kick start to where the exhaust valves and just after intake valves closed (TDC on compression stroke) kicked it smoothly and not too fast and it started on the second kick. Now she starts 3rd kick cold (-20cold) and first when it is warm, unless I stall it either at low rmp or fall of. My theory is when I stall it at low rpm that short time when the motor is die ing the engine pulls in too much gas and floods the engine, just enough to cause a 15 kick start.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.