01 yzf426 front end rattle

9 replies to this topic
  • gasgasser

Posted January 10, 2010 - 02:24 AM

Just had the top end rebuilt but no it's developed a rattle from what sounds like the front top of the motor. Anyone got any ideas what it might be?

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2010 - 08:19 AM

If you still have a manual compression release, check it to see if it has free travel, and be sure the return spring on the lever at the head is still there.

If you had an aftermarket piston installed, the noise could be piston slap.

• nopremix

Posted January 10, 2010 - 08:27 AM

yep agreed... cam chain tensioner and cam chain need replaced, and piston slap are the most likely what you need to focus on. Its sometimes really hard to diagnose where a sound is actually coming from, as the vibrations can fool you.

Back in 2000, I had a 1998 400f which developed a strange whining sound when it was reved up, much like a street rod car with a double cam chain. Took everything apart, never could figure it out.. .sold it.

• gasgasser

Posted January 10, 2010 - 11:45 PM

If you still have a manual compression release, check it to see if it has free travel, and be sure the return spring on the lever at the head is still there.

If you had an aftermarket piston installed, the noise could be piston slap.

Yeah I do have a manual comp release, and it's smooth and even with the cable disconnected it rattles.

Not sure if it's piston slap as it really rattles like a bag of spanners, not knocks. And it all seems to be comming fron the top area of the motor.

Any other sudjestions to check would be welcome

• laserracer

Posted January 11, 2010 - 10:37 AM

Any luck bro... finding whats wrong ? what did you replace in the head ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gasgasser

Posted January 12, 2010 - 08:56 PM

Any luck bro... finding whats wrong ? what did you replace in the head ?

Nah, haven't had a chance to pull it down yet, and not sure where to look.

It's had a new piston and re-shimmed valves.

• gasgasser

Posted January 14, 2010 - 02:22 AM

Ok bit of an update, the new piston is a genuine one.

I think the cam chain adjuster was wound/forced up tight, I let it seat itself and the rattle is better.

I'm told the cam chain is new, so I'm guessing that the cam chain guides could be worn, does that sound right or stupid??

• 642MX

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:38 AM

Ok bit of an update, the new piston is a genuine one.

I think the cam chain adjuster was wound/forced up tight, I let it seat itself and the rattle is better.

I'm told the cam chain is new, so I'm guessing that the cam chain guides could be worn, does that sound right or stupid??

Typically the guides don't wear much. Mine are original with about 800 hours.

I would check your valves and see if ones a little loose. Sometimes shops set them a little loose since the valves tighten up.

• gasgasser

Posted January 14, 2010 - 08:26 PM

Typically the guides don't wear much. Mine are original with about 800 hours.

I would check your valves and see if ones a little loose. Sometimes shops set them a little loose since the valves tighten up.

Nah valves are bang on in spec, didi them myself, and checked 3 or 4 times since. Don't think valves would play a part as the noise is becomes worse if the cam chain adjuster is wound on to make the chain tighter.

• laserracer

Posted January 14, 2010 - 11:50 PM

what about something weird like a frozen link in the cam chain ...or possibly the wrong chain..worn camgear teeth...did they replace the chain ? or was it on the bike when you got it ?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.