Help---- oil leak after riding

3 replies to this topic
  • nmchunker20

Posted January 09, 2010 - 06:19 PM

I have a 04 WR 450, it has a oil leak somewhere on the top of the motor I think. So I know know I over filled it with oil ( and here comes the comments) When I realized what I had done, after riding about 5 miles, it now has a leak form somewhere. it is on the right side of the bike and it collects on the exhaust system and radiator and drips every where. Where do I start? and how bad did I mess it up?

• byggd

Posted January 09, 2010 - 06:26 PM

There is a plug on the upper right side of the motor above the exhaust that is common to blow out. Do yourself a favor and do not us the OE plug to fix the leak and go with an aftermarket unit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nmchunker20

Posted January 09, 2010 - 06:37 PM

thanks I will start there

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 10, 2010 - 06:34 AM

When Yamaha added auto decomp to the bike they left the opening in the head for the manual decomp and used a rubber covered plug to close off the hole. It's very common for the plug to come out particularly if the breather hose is obstructed (dirt, pinched, etc.) The TT store used to carry an aftermarket plug that was a much better design but I don't think they have it any longer. There used to be several mfrs making aftermarket plugs but now they're getting a little more difficult to find. I bought this one on ebay recently and it seems to work well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.