426 Torque specs

5 replies to this topic
  • G-Man

Posted October 19, 2000 - 05:26 AM

Any of you guys have the torque specs for the linkage, swingarm, axles, steering stem etc.

I am taking your advice and greasing and torqing to spec.

Will be ordering a shop manual and purchasing a torque wrench.
3/8 or 1/2 in. ?

Thx in advance.

• Tim

Posted October 19, 2000 - 05:37 AM

The manual that comes with the bike has all the torque settings you will need to lube the bike. A 3/8 clicker type torque wrench will probably be the most user friendly type to get. Just make sure you don't leave the wrench set at a certain setting for a long time. Turn it all the way out after using. This will prolong the acuracy of the wrench.
Good luck and check back with the forum when you come into any problems, it could save you $$.

• Hick

Posted October 19, 2000 - 06:00 AM

For the arm etc. you will probably want a ½” drive torque wrench. Sorry, I don’t have my manual in front of me and I don’t want to guess but we’re talking in the 70 pound range for the arm pivot and top stem nut (less for the linkage). Most wrenches with this range are ½ “, as well as most sockets that big (22-32 mm).

You should probably own two torque wrenches, one for the above and another smaller one for pinch bolts, cases etc (which are all like 23 NM or 10 NM, I forget what that is in inch pounds). That is too big of a range for one wrench.

Check back tomorrow, if nobody has posted the spec.s you requested I will get them for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted October 20, 2000 - 06:02 AM

In ft./lb.s

Linkage 58
Swingarm Pivot 61
Steering Stem Nut 105
Axle 90
Shock 38

I would recommend using loctite on the shock bolt, whether you remove it or not.

Also, you might consider some silicone or contact cement on the plastic cups that cover the bolt hole in the arm, they like to fall out, as do the little rubber grommets that seal the holes in the arm where it goes around the spring.

Hope this helps!

• MikeOK

Posted October 20, 2000 - 07:30 AM

I also loctited my steering head nut after it backed out on me one time. Also the little plastic cups that cover the swingarm bolt have a little raised line on one side that has to be pointed forward or they will pop off...Mike

• G-Man

Posted October 20, 2000 - 08:34 AM

Thanks guys these are some excellant tips.
Yesterday I purchased two Craftsman torque wrenches (they were on sale!) and greased everything and torqued to spec. I'm sooooo tired right now....

Some of these torques seemed pretty high and I was worried about snapping a bolt!

Yamaha has an EXCELLANT manual!!!!

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.