09 Timing plugs

11 replies to this topic
  • dvn

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:09 AM

This may be a dumb question, but what do you guys use to remove the large timing plug. It is a HUGE allen and I don't have anything that big.

• NE14MX

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi Dave, I use my biggest SEA allen (I think it fits Ford brake caliper), it doesn't fit correctly but it hits the flat edges enough to remove the plug. I guess I could wrap foil around it to make it fit better. Hopefully the plug isn't that tight. Hope this helps.

• TheHarp

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Just went down to the hardware store this morning to pick up a 14mm allen to fit. Ten bucks for a single allen wrench...but it worked great.

• davbrucas

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:38 AM

yep...14mm or 9/16 allen head socket...

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:46 AM

Just a thought: what about the end of the OEM spark plug wrench?

• Mike546

Posted January 08, 2010 - 01:09 PM

You can pick up a set of large metric allen sockets from Harbor Freight for around fifteen dollars. I got your PM Dave, the bike sounds like it's just what you were looking for.
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davbrucas

Posted January 08, 2010 - 01:40 PM

Just a thought: what about the end of the OEM spark plug wrench?

LOL..is that what thats for? :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2010 - 02:02 PM

LOL..is that what thats for? :moon:

Does it work?

• DPW

Posted January 08, 2010 - 04:58 PM

Does it work?

lol....awesome yeah it works....:moon:

great tip!

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 08, 2010 - 07:59 PM

That's what I was gonna say. The spark plug side, though it's a tight fit will hold the front axle when torquing the front axle nut. Just small tap to get it in.

• andy250

Posted January 08, 2010 - 09:08 PM

You can use motor mount as a wrench. The welded-on bolt fits perfect.

You're probably checking valves anyway so you need to remove the motor mounts anyway...

• grayracer513

Posted January 08, 2010 - 11:32 PM

If you don't have the OEM spark plug wrench, and don't feel inclined to pull the gas tank and motor mounts to tighten this plug, and you are further disinclined to spend $10-20 on a tool you won't really use very often, here's another solution.

A the aforementioned hardware store, look for a pillar nut, used to connect two pieces of 3/8" threaded rod. Double check the size to be sure it's 9/16. Some such 3/8 pillar nuts are 5/8", and that won't work. You can insert the nut into the plug and drive it with any 9/16" or 14mm wrench. (9/16" = 14.28mm).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.