E-Start will not start the bike???

6 replies to this topic
  • Grandmaster

Posted May 05, 2003 - 05:42 PM

First off I would like to say hi! I have been a long time lurker here and have gained invaluable information from this board.

Now for the problem. I have a '03 WR450. Baffle is removed, grey wire pulled, snorkle yanked, and throttle stop cut. Jetting is still stock. The bike has ran fine and started fairly easily with the e-start. This weekend I installed the YZ Cam. The first few starts with the e-start fired her right up..but now she will not start with the button. She will fire right up with a single kick of the kick start but will just crank until the battery dies with the e-start.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Louis

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 06, 2003 - 01:02 AM

The battery needs full power to crank a cold engine. There have been some battery replacements due to defective batteries. I keep my charged up with a trickle charger when not riding. Seems to work for me. I have never had to kick start mine. The battery should have a good numbers of starts before losing power.

• RPS

Posted May 06, 2003 - 08:22 AM

I went up two sizes on the Pilot Jet and went downt to a #40 leak jet. Before I rejeted I could only start the bike by kicking it when it was cold. After rejet, I give one or two twist on the throttle and it fires right up with the E-start.

Rog

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfg50

Posted May 06, 2003 - 03:43 PM

I experienced the same starting problem after the YZcam installation. This is what I do. I open the throttle up 3-4 times. While e-cranking it seems to want to kick over; that's when I crack the throttle a little and it fires up.

I also noticed that it starts easier with the kickstarter.
:)

• Grandmaster

Posted May 10, 2003 - 10:43 AM

Woohoo! The board is back up! I wanted to say thanks for the responses. I tried the giving the throttle 3 or 4 twists and choke on method and she fired up! I guess I need to rejet and richen her up a little.

Just out of curiosity...can anyone explain why using the kick start will start the bike up with one kick without having to twist the throttle, yet with the e-start you have to develop a procedure?

Thanks!
Louis

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 11, 2003 - 09:15 AM

Yamaha chose to keep the weight down by designing a light electric start motor and gear train and a small battery. Their intention is for us to use it when we stall with a warm engine. Not cold starting. I manage to use it for cold starting others cant. It is right on the edge. :)

• xr600r

Posted May 11, 2003 - 11:22 AM

Sometimes it will fire right up with the button when cold....sometimes it wont....go figure. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.