Does this look stock?

50 replies to this topic
  • TheHarp

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:36 PM

'08 YZ 450 ... bought the bike used, so not sure what was done to it by previous owner(s). It looks to me like the surface has been ground down a bit.

Posted Image

• KJ790

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Not stock, that's been ported. Looks like a home job. Now you have to find out if it was done by someone with any idea what they were doing or just a guy with a grinder thinking bigger is better.

• FarleyMX25

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:39 PM

yeah that doesnt look very pretty who ever was in there:bonk:

Edited by FarleyMX25, January 07, 2010 - 08:39 PM.
spelling

• TheHarp

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Yeah...I'm thinking someone went after it with a dremel tool.

• locomike

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:00 PM

Not stock, that's been ported. Looks like a home job. Now you have to find out if it was done by someone with any idea what they were doing or just a guy with a grinder thinking bigger is better.

I have my suspicions it is the latter. :moon: I cried a little inside when I zoomed in on the picture...

Anyway, how does the bike run?

• TheHarp

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:10 PM

I have my suspicions it is the latter. :moon: I cried a little inside when I zoomed in on the picture...

Anyway, how does the bike run?

It's a little slower than my CBR600RR race bike. :cheers: I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I have no complaints.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:17 PM

If Ron Hamp has seen this, he is probably still vomiting at this moment. Or laughing. Or shaking his head in disbelief.

The bad part is that the 3 valve intake port is very easy to modify incorrectly and actually reduce the power output significantly. A really good head shop could correct it, even if it means material needs to be added back, but the first thing out of your mouth when you take it in should be, "I did not do this..."

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:23 PM

damn, that looks horrible. The previous owner should be shot.

• KJ790

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:29 PM

There are a few things going for it that suggest it may not be too bad. You can see he didn't touch the dividers, port bowls, or the short side radius, that's a good thing if you don't know what you are doing. It looks like the throats are ground slightly, hopefully it is nothing more than blending them into the seats a little. It looks like he cut into the floor right at the port entrance, then let the floor come up to the original height right before the start of the short side. I've seen head porters do this with success, and the good thing is that if it's done wrong it is an area of the port that least affects the overall performance. It sure isn't pretty though.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2010 - 11:20 PM

You can see he didn't touch the dividers,

Better have another look at that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 08, 2010 - 02:38 AM

ugly:crazy:

• KJ790

Posted January 08, 2010 - 05:42 AM

Better have another look at that.

The dividers look untouched to me, you can see they are darker gray than where he was grinding, and they still have a blunt edge.

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 08, 2010 - 05:53 AM

:moon:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 08, 2010 - 06:02 AM

geez that is a hillbilly hack job ...... hopefully you can get it filled in and done correctly, but I would not wait. Call RHC Ron or someone knowledgeable to repair that mess. Makes me wonder what other wonderful things have been done or removed from your ride.

Edited by Ga426owner, January 08, 2010 - 10:42 AM.

• firemanmatt82

Posted January 08, 2010 - 06:12 AM

If Ron Hamp has seen this, he is probably still vomiting at this moment. Or laughing. Or shaking his head in disbelief.

The bad part is that the 3 valve intake port is very easy to modify incorrectly and actually reduce the power output significantly. A really good head shop could correct it, even if it means material needs to be added back, but the first thing out of your mouth when you take it in should be, "I did not do this..."

Hey thats my line-if everyone starts using it, my mechanic will find out I can't ride or wrench on my bike. Lol

• TheHarp

Posted January 08, 2010 - 10:05 AM

There are a few things going for it ...

That's good to hear...not sure I can spend the bucks this year to get it fixed. We'll see what else I find when I continue the tear-down. :moon:

• TheHarp

Posted January 14, 2010 - 03:09 PM

Had a local machinist take a look at the head today. He said the porting is ugly but no real damage was done. He also found that I need new intake valves and a valve job. He has a flowbench, so he's going to measure the flow before/after cleaning up the porting.

He also recommended that I replace the rod with one from Hot Rods...so I'm probably going to be tearing into the lower end. This is my first time working on my own engine...wish me luck!

• TheHarp

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:42 PM

Update...flowbench says 188 CFM max flow....which, apparently, isn't too good. It doesn't mean much to me, I've asked him (the engine machinist) to provide some point of reference.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:00 PM

Ask him what the stock head flows on his bench.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:07 AM

Had a local machinist take a look at the head today. He said the porting is ugly but no real damage was done. He also found that I need new intake valves and a valve job. He has a flowbench, so he's going to measure the flow before/after cleaning up the porting.

He also recommended that I replace the rod with one from Hot Rods...so I'm probably going to be tearing into the lower end. This is my first time working on my own engine...wish me luck!

this is going to get expensive with a new head and all of this otherstuff.....you need to decide if it is worth the cost. How much did you spend on this bike if you don't mind me asking? I hate it when sellers sell crap like this....

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.