Edlebrock Pumper Carb Question?

5 replies to this topic
  • firemanmatt82

Posted January 07, 2010 - 07:43 AM

So I fire the bike up the other day and everything is as it should be. As I get half way down the street I notice the idle is about 200-300rpm higher than it should be. Why would on this particular carb. it start doing this all of the sudden? I rode it for six hours a week ago and it ran fine. Oh I almost forgot, this is on an 01 Yz 426. Any help or suggestions would be much apperciated. Thanks

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:19 AM

is it colder outside?

• firemanmatt82

Posted January 07, 2010 - 10:25 AM

It was only about 55 when I was riding, not a huge temperature difference

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted January 07, 2010 - 12:35 PM

Perhaps you have answered this before, but why would you replace the excellent stock FCR pumper carb with an Edlebrock carb?? A properly jetted stock carb works as well as or better than any other carb out there.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2010 - 01:42 PM

Perhaps you have answered this before, but why would you replace the excellent stock FCR pumper carb with an Edlebrock carb?? A properly jetted stock carb works as well as or better than any other carb out there.

The FCR on the '98-'99 400's was not excellent. The FCR-MX on the 426 was quite a bit better, but they were still subject to wearing out, or being broken beyond usability by mishandling. The replacement cost is around $900 or more.

Edelbrocks are much more affordable. Some see them as a way to replace the carb without selling the car to finance it. Others believe it will improve performance, which it won't, really, as you pointed out. That belief probably originates with the fact that it does offer a big improvement over the, um, "stuff" that comes on older Harleys, which is what they were first made for.

Personally, I think you're better off with a used FCR-MX than an Edelbrock. Once they work right, if they work right, they're fine, but they can be a PITA to work out.

• firemanmatt82

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:55 PM

Just to be clear, the Edlebrock was on the bike when I bought the bike. I'm personally not a huge fan of changing a lot of parts off, seeing the bike ran great from the factory. My 426 though has every upgrade you can buy for it, on it. Some parts are cool (hydrulic clutch, IMS wide pegs, Fat Bars, etc) The exhaust is made by some shop out of Freson,Ca and is way to loud and will be getting changed out ASAP. It sucks to sell this Edlebrock, cosidering another 450 carb looks like it will run me between 150-300 bucks. Thanks for all the help guys

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.