Change drain bolt gasket?

8 replies to this topic
  • rmcr250r

Posted January 06, 2010 - 04:15 PM

Well when i did my first oil change on my 09 yz450 oil was leakin out the left side drain bolt hole. Tightend it alittle bit more and pop ( the threads broke off unto the bolt.) So I had the dealer tap it out and they put in a helicoil. It seemed to have work fine and there were not any leaks. Now about 5 oil changes later its leaking. I made sure to clean up the bolts and washers before reinstalling them . I tightend it up to specs and it still leaks. Is this possibly just the copper washer needing to be replaced?

Edited by rmcr250r, January 06, 2010 - 07:37 PM.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted January 06, 2010 - 07:21 PM

I replace the sealing washers and o-rings every other change.

• davcon

Posted January 06, 2010 - 07:30 PM

Doesnt sound good. I have 100 hrs on mine and it doesnt leak a drop and it has the original copper washer. Worth a try replacing it tho.

• rmcr250r

Posted January 06, 2010 - 07:35 PM

if its not the copper washer what are my options? besides new cases

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted January 06, 2010 - 10:55 PM

if its not the copper washer what are my options? besides new cases

a timesert would be the best option. Less leaking problems than with helicoils.

• roylo

Posted January 07, 2010 - 01:26 AM

Well when i did my first oil change on my 09 yz450 oil was leakin out the left side drain bolt hole. Tightend it alittle bit more and pop ( the threads broke off unto the bolt.) So I had the dealer tap it out and they put in a helicoil. It seemed to have work fine and there were not any leaks. Now about 5 oil changes later its leaking. I made sure to clean up the bolts and washers before reinstalling them . I tightend it up to specs and it still leaks. Is this possibly just the copper washer needing to be replaced?

My whole life on bikes and cars after hundreds of oil changes, I have never replaced the copper washer and never had a leak.
You need to make sure the contact surfaces of the washer, bolt head and sump/cases are smooth if it is leaking. If not, file lightly or sand until it is smooth and tighten to spec and it should not leak.

• got5steelman

Posted January 07, 2010 - 05:25 AM

You may need a larger diameter copper washer. The dealer would have had to drill a larger hole to insert the helicoil. The stock washer may not be large enough to cover the repair. try getting a larger OD copper washer with the same ID if possible or use the stock one with a larger OD washer against the hole.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2010 - 07:26 AM

I have replaced drain plug gaskets and washers of every known variety at one time or other for various reasons. Usually, copper washers don't need it.

What has most likely happened in this case is that the repaired hole was drilled out of square with the sealing surface that the washer clamps against, so that it's tilted, rather like not putting the lid on a jar straight. This is extremely easy to do, and it's the reason that Time-Serts are a better choice for drain hole repairs. The Time-Sert kit includes a spot facing tool that squares up the top surface of the case with the drilled hole regardless of whether it is square with the old centerline or not, and avoids this problem.

As to what you can do about it now, one choice is to try two new copper washers. This may work, and work well, and in fact one new one may do it for you, but you are likely to find that you have to replace the washer(s) each and every time you reinstall the bolt, as they will crush unevenly.

Another alternative is a drain plug washer of the type that consists of an aluminum washer with an O-ring held captive on its inner diameter. These could be used repeatedly for a longer period. Look for them at outlets that sell braided hoses and fittings for race cars and such.

You could also undertake to remove the Heli-Coil and re-do the repair using a Time-Sert, but that will probably not be an easy thing.

• rmcr250r

Posted January 07, 2010 - 10:04 AM

I really want this problem fixed permanently so i can stop worrying about it. Looking at the helicoil that was inserted in the drain plug hole, i ve noticed that threads were puttin deeper into the cases than the original one. So its a longer bolt that goes in to it, so theres an empty space before the bolt reaches the helicoil. Also the last oil change i found a piece of the helicoil in the back of one threads on oil filter cover. So i think my best option will be to take it to a mechanic that i trust instead of the dealer and get the time sert put in and stop worrying about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.