2000 yz426

8 replies to this topic
  • GAVA

Posted January 05, 2010 - 07:41 PM

I am rebuilding the lower end and before I begin are there any parts that require a mechanical press for example the crank or bearings. I am trying to find a manual to download now to start the process

• rickyz1984

Posted January 06, 2010 - 01:30 AM

i'm not to sure on the parts but here is a link to the manual http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp hope that helps

• Birdy426

Posted January 06, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Mike? Did you get the 426 from Marv's brother?

You don't need a hydrulic press, but you will need a couple of pullers...first, a flywheel puller. Motion pro or my garage. Second, a case splitter. Again, motion pro, or, I used a four finger steering wheel puller from harbour freight when I split my cases. It also works for pressing the crank out of the case. Again, you can borrow mine if you want...

Birdie

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2010 - 12:28 PM

Case splitter is not strictly necessary, but very helpful. Flywheel puller IS strictly necessary, regardless of what anyone says. I know of people who have used "other" pullers, and I know some of them who have bent or broken flywheels that way.

Another very convenient, but not totally necessary item is the puller that draws the crank back into the main bearings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MDS55

Posted January 06, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Mike? Did you get the 426 from Marv's brother?

You don't need a hydrulic press, but you will need a couple of pullers...first, a flywheel puller. Motion pro or my garage. Second, a case splitter. Again, motion pro, or, I used a four finger steering wheel puller from harbour freight when I split my cases. It also works for pressing the crank out of the case. Again, you can borrow mine if you want...

Birdie

Sounds like we're going to Birdy's house for this project.

• Birdy426

Posted January 07, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like we're going to Birdy's house for this project.

Marv and Mike-
Give me a couple of days to clean the garage. I will be doing the same thing to Garrett's 250 here pretty quick (as soon as I order the stroker crank and big bore kit).

Birdie

• GAVA

Posted January 08, 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the information

• Tbone81

Posted February 07, 2010 - 01:03 PM

So are you ready to take it to Birdies yet?

• GAVA

Posted February 08, 2010 - 06:22 PM

I split the case and removed the crank - I am in the process of inspecting all the parts and ordering the replacements. When the new parts arrive I will be ready to take to Birdies because I definitely will need his expertise to get it back together.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.