NE1 remove the coolent overflow bottle?

11 replies to this topic
  • JerseyDirt

Posted May 05, 2003 - 07:42 AM

I would like to get rid of the overflow bottle. None of my other dirtbikes ever had this and they all ran fine with no overheating. Has anyone done this? What would I do with the overflow hose?

• wr250rr

Posted May 05, 2003 - 08:17 AM

I would think you would have to change the radiator cap to a higher pressure one to prevent the coolant from coming out when it heats up. Why do you want to remove it :)

• JerseyDirt

Posted May 05, 2003 - 08:59 AM

I like to eliminate all unnecessary items to save weight. Would the radiator cap from a YZ work?

• Jonesy920

Posted May 05, 2003 - 10:11 AM

I remember this discussion earlier this year and I know some have done it. I couldn't find the exact thread but this one might be a start for the replacement cap.

http://www.thumperta...true#Post468680

• JerseyDirt

Posted May 05, 2003 - 10:13 AM

Thanks a lot Jonesy. :)

• HareAndHound98

Posted May 05, 2003 - 01:41 PM

Jonesy,

Removed my bottle too. There is no need to switch caps or anything like that. Simply remove the bottle and use some of the remaining hose to create a little overflow hose and route it down where the yz's do.

That overflow bottle prevents you from losing any coolant in the event of a boil. When the bike cools back down it fills the radiator back full again. I have only boiled the coolant in my bike once and that is totally my fault. If you rarly boil your coolant there is no need for the reserve bottle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tony426

Posted May 05, 2003 - 04:57 PM

I have been thinking about removing mine also . First you lose some weight second yoou remove the risk of braking the bottle (unlikely I know) and covering your rear wheeland tire with coolant, and third I think it would look cleaner.
I was riding some singlr track this weekend hardly moving lots of rpm and clutch and wheelspin and my coolanty level never moved. I will probabl;y wait until the summer and if I still dont see a change in coolant level on slow single track then its gone.

• Tony426

Posted May 05, 2003 - 04:58 PM

I have been thinking about removing mine also . First you lose some weight second yoou remove the risk of braking the bottle (unlikely I know) and covering your rear wheeland tire with coolant, and third I think it would look cleaner.
I was riding some single track ths weekend hardly moving lots of rpm and clutch and wheelspin and my coolant level never moved. I will probably wait until the summer and if I still dont see a change in coolant level on slow single track then its gone.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 06, 2003 - 01:07 AM

I like the bottle just fine. Hot days and slow mud rides can heat the baby up until you cross a stream to clean off the mud! I was thinking of converting it to a spare gas bottle for long rides but I dont think the plastic is the right material to handle gasoline. I am afraid it will disolve and comtaminate the fuel.

• ogrebelle

Posted May 09, 2003 - 11:23 AM

I removed it last fall and am using the stock cap. So far no problems at all including on some really slow, tight technical sections. The only time I lose fluid is when at idle for extended periods. You shouldn't keep these things at idle anyway so if you turn it off in these situations you should be fine. Also, if you get rid of the bottle and go with an oval (yz-style) silencer you can swap the wide side panels for the sexier YZ panels. I am, however, still waiting for some good summer rides and high altitude rides before I make final judgement. So far I'm very satisfied with the removal, just be cautious and check your coolant level before each ride (and at lunch if you let it cool down enough).
Doug

• crashtestdummy

Posted May 11, 2003 - 05:39 PM

Just another positive for removing the bottle. No cap change and all is fine. I too am trying to lose all excess weight :)

• CowboyBob

Posted May 12, 2003 - 05:39 AM

Keep an eye on the Coolant level after you remove the bottle. My '03 450 puked a bit at the Vikings National when I got hung up behind a pack of riders stalled on a hill.As far as changing the Radiator cap, this is common practice on modified KX 500's (usually going from a 1.1 or 1.2 to a 1.6)but I have no experience or info about how a higher pressure cap may affect the WR. With regard to the side panel swap, the WR 450 can use the YZ sidepanel for the RIGHT SIDE ONLY and ONLY if using a skinny oval muffler like the stock YZ 450 piece or a Big Gun. The left panel is NOT INTERCHANGEABLE due to the differrence in airbox design.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.