So a newbie popped his riding cherry

10 replies to this topic
  • Rellik

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:40 PM

I'll make this brief, I'm 28 years old, and never stepped foot on a motorized bike before (read: over protective parents as a child).

So my boss keeps telling me to get into riding, and after 4 months, I found an '06 WR450 about a month ago for a killer smoking deal with the following mods:
Scott triple clamp and stabilizer, Pro taper bars, GYTR exhaust, desert tank and a Baja Designs Harness.

My boss, being the great guy he is, drove his truck from Los Angeles all the way to Palm Desert with me to pick it up and drop it off at my house in Moreno Valley one afternoon after work. :cheers:

Well, low and behold, I finally got to riding the bike in the dirt for the first time last weekend up in San Bernardino at Silverwood Lake. Yea, I fell a couple times (5 to be exact), but only 1 of the times did I actually receive any type of injury (scraped up and bruised left knee). But I knew what I was getting myself into before I even started on this adventure. I had my protective gear on, and I'm thankful I did! When I was younger, I always used to think that protective gear was for pansies, that it was un-cool. But now that I'm a little older, and injuries are a little more significant to an aging body, I don't care how un-cool, idiotic or silly I look. If it will save my clumsy butt and keep me a little safer and protected, then I'm all over it!

Anyway, keep in mind this was my first day on the bike, and this video of me romping around in the staging area is all I have video wise until I can figure out a good way to mount my video camera to my helmet or bars. I'm still trying to get my bearings, but apparently I was doing alright for my first day according to my camera man (who had been riding for about 20 years).

Video was just before we were about to pack up to head back. Total lifetime riding experience was about 4 hours prior to this video.

Anyway, I'll be lurking for the most part, learning what I can and using the search button when I can. But I've heard so many different people talking about this site, I just had to come in and say hi!

So what do you think forum... is a 450 too much bike for a complete n00b? :moon:

:smirk:

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:51 PM

I would never recommend a 450 for a NOOB but since you already have it. Enjoy it. It will only go as fast as you let it.:moon:

• redfever

Posted January 04, 2010 - 08:07 PM

Welcome!

You look very comfortable already and seem to be a a pretty big guy so the 450 should be fine. Kudos for already figuring out the truth about protective gear and also for hooking up with Thumpertalk. Lots of great advice to be had - just don't get pulled into the various religious arguments (Chad Reed vs. James Stewart or Yamaha vs. Honda or Leatt neck braces vs. EPS neck braces, etc.)

Be sure to check out some of the riding location threads on here, we've got so many great places to ride in So Cal!

Have fun!!!

• ASternad

Posted January 04, 2010 - 09:41 PM

Camera guy is more shaky than the noob.
Tip - Stand whenever possible. Sitting is just asking to crash.

• YamaLink

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:14 AM

Congrats on the new bike.

Set your sag if you have not done so already: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

I presume the oil filter was cleaned and properly lubed and seated? Make that a priority at least every time you change the engine oil.

As a newbie, remember: slow is fast. Take your time to work on fundamentals while you get used to the WR450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'll make this brief, I'm 28 years old, and never stepped foot on a motorized bike before (read: over protective parents as a child).

So my boss keeps telling me to get into riding, and after 4 months, I found an '06 WR450 about a month ago for a killer smoking deal with the following mods:
Scott triple clamp and stabilizer, Pro taper bars, GYTR exhaust, desert tank and a Baja Designs Harness.

My boss, being the great guy he is, drove his truck from Los Angeles all the way to Palm Desert with me to pick it up and drop it off at my house in Moreno Valley one afternoon after work. :cheers:

Well, low and behold, I finally got to riding the bike in the dirt for the first time last weekend up in San Bernardino at Silverwood Lake. Yea, I fell a couple times (5 to be exact), but only 1 of the times did I actually receive any type of injury (scraped up and bruised left knee). But I knew what I was getting myself into before I even started on this adventure. I had my protective gear on, and I'm thankful I did! When I was younger, I always used to think that protective gear was for pansies, that it was un-cool. But now that I'm a little older, and injuries are a little more significant to an aging body, I don't care how un-cool, idiotic or silly I look. If it will save my clumsy butt and keep me a little safer and protected, then I'm all over it!

Anyway, keep in mind this was my first day on the bike, and this video of me romping around in the staging area is all I have video wise until I can figure out a good way to mount my video camera to my helmet or bars. I'm still trying to get my bearings, but apparently I was doing alright for my first day according to my camera man (who had been riding for about 20 years).

Video was just before we were about to pack up to head back. Total lifetime riding experience was about 4 hours prior to this video.

Anyway, I'll be lurking for the most part, learning what I can and using the search button when I can. But I've heard so many different people talking about this site, I just had to come in and say hi!

So what do you think forum... is a 450 too much bike for a complete n00b? :moon:

:smirk:

Hey Ev, nice vid, you did well for a first timer newbe. I been riding since dirt and I don't even have a vid yet. Bike looks good, ya, you did get a good deal. Your boss isn't so bad afterall....LOL Thought you would hang with us this past new years? Forgot to ask Bill about you. Welcome to TT, love this place. Learned more about my bikes and places to ride than anywhere else. Oh ya, as far as the gear thing goes, call me a pansie.... cuz i wear everything under the sun and under my pants too. The latest is the padded panties. (boxer briefs w/ padds) makes the ride seem so much better. Knee pads, elbow pads, chest protector, gloves, boots, helmet, goggles, kidney belt as soon as i win the lottery, i'll pick up a leat brace.....

Dube2 OUT!

• the_smoo

Posted January 05, 2010 - 03:58 PM

I would never recommend a 450 for a NOOB but since you already have it. Enjoy it. It will only go as fast as you let it.:moon:

I agree. Just take your time to learn the basics..

• byggd

Posted January 06, 2010 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to TT! How far did your ride take you? Did you make it out to Deep creek etc?

• Rellik

Posted January 06, 2010 - 04:59 PM

Camera guy is more shaky than the noob.
Tip - Stand whenever possible. Sitting is just asking to crash.

I stand when it is necessary (i.e. whoops, hill climbs, rocks, or other things of that nature).

Congrats on the new bike.

Set your sag if you have not done so already: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

I presume the oil filter was cleaned and properly lubed and seated? Make that a priority at least every time you change the engine oil.

As a newbie, remember: slow is fast. Take your time to work on fundamentals while you get used to the WR450.

Oil change and new filter just before I picked it up. I'll be sure to gear up and check the sag here at home before I go out again. I'm not planning on setting any poker run record speed times here guys, I just want to enjoy the outdoors.

Hey Ev, nice vid, you did well for a first timer newbe. I been riding since dirt and I don't even have a vid yet. Bike looks good, ya, you did get a good deal. Your boss isn't so bad afterall....LOL Thought you would hang with us this past new years? Forgot to ask Bill about you. Welcome to TT, love this place. Learned more about my bikes and places to ride than anywhere else. Oh ya, as far as the gear thing goes, call me a pansie.... cuz i wear everything under the sun and under my pants too. The latest is the padded panties. (boxer briefs w/ padds) makes the ride seem so much better. Knee pads, elbow pads, chest protector, gloves, boots, helmet, goggles, kidney belt as soon as i win the lottery, i'll pick up a leat brace.....

Dube2 OUT!

Couldn't make new years John. My place is just too far out of the way and I hate putting people out of their way. I need a truck. And I'm a forum moderator over on a mustang site, so I know what kind of a gold mine of information tech forums like this one is. :smirk:

That's what I plan on doing for the first year or two. :moon:

I would never recommend a 450 for a NOOB but since you already have it. Enjoy it. It will only go as fast as you let it.:cheers:

Dube (the guy above), my boss and I were all discussing this. I'm 5'10, and 210 pounds. The thought was that if I got a 250 and it wasn't enough power for me, I would be kicking myself in the butt. At least with the 450, upgrading to a bigger bike isn't really an issue, it's just mastering the bike I already have. Anyone I go riding with I make sure to tell them I'm a new rider and very inexperienced. For the 1 out of 1 times I've been, the othrr rider took it easy on me. He did tell me though that he was impressed to see me ride and didn't expect that I took to it naturally.

Welcome to TT! How far did your ride take you? Did you make it out to Deep creek etc?

Took me up from the staging area off of 134, up to and around the loop (then back around the loop). Didn't get to any particular destination. The total ride time was ~6 hours (7 if you include drink breaks).

• Valkrider15

Posted January 06, 2010 - 05:57 PM

And keep in minda that this bike will get you in trouble pretty quickly so be prepared. And remember to let off the throttle when things get Gnarly- Although the tendency is to grab on tighter which will only "Enhance" the situation!!! :moon:

• Rellik

Posted January 06, 2010 - 07:46 PM

And keep in minda that this bike will get you in trouble pretty quickly so be prepared. And remember to let off the throttle when things get Gnarly- Although the tendency is to grab on tighter which will only "Enhance" the situation!!! :cheers:

I'm pretty good (so far) about easing up on the throttle when things get beyond my control. Though I'm sure it's happened to all of us once or twice... so I'm expecting it sooner or later :moon:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.