08 450 minimum (but smart) engine refresh

5 replies to this topic
  • TheHarp

Posted January 04, 2010 - 03:32 PM

Looking for some advice on what I should do with my engine. I ran it hard last year on the supermotard track and road-racing tracks. I bought it used, so not sure what kind of use it had seen before I bought it. Mid season had the valves checked/adjusted and replaced the cam chain (stiff/kinked).

I'm not looking for any additional power...just want to avoid, if possible, any catastrophic failures in the upcoming season.

Anyway...engine is currently out of the frame, so figured now would be a good time to get the necessary work done.

Thanks for any advice.

• nephic

Posted January 04, 2010 - 08:15 PM

Check the cylinder for wear, replace if needed (you can now choose your piston options), new piston, cam chain, check the valves...pack it up and ride it like you stole it.

Edited by nephic, January 05, 2010 - 06:54 AM.

• TheHarp

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks. Any reason to go with a piston other than OEM?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2010 - 09:09 AM

That depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you liked the stock engine, then no, there's nothing significantly better about any of the aftermarket pistons. If you want a low/mid power boost, go with a CP at a higher compression ratio.

If you use a racing piston, remember that the rings will need replacement more often with a two ring piston than a with a more conventional three ring piston.

• TheHarp

Posted January 05, 2010 - 09:21 AM

I'm happy with the stock engine's performance and reliability...so will probably go with an OEM piston. Thanks.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 12, 2010 - 06:19 PM

go stock and enjoy lots of fun time and reliability. replace rings and piston. maybe a timing chain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.