Difficult to shift into first

6 replies to this topic
  • Tropicose

Posted January 04, 2010 - 12:04 PM

Cross-posting from Dirtrider. Figured I would get a better response here...

So, I was participating in some post-Christmas hoonery around my neighborhood on my WR450 and had a low speed low side . I wheeled the bike home and put it on a stand.

The bike clicks easily into every gear except first. To get into first, it requires holding down the shifter while spinning the rear wheel until it clicks into place. I haven't fired the bike up for fear that something is damaged. Any thoughts? Would a bent shift fork still allow me to eventually get into gear?

• bloodline

Posted January 04, 2010 - 08:35 PM

nothing wrong. carry on.

• Yamaha_James

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:08 AM

nothing wrong. carry on.

+1 this happens to me all the time on my ttr

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:25 AM

These type of transmissions aren't made to shift properly without the engine (or the back wheel) turning. Don't worry about it, fire it up and ride.

• pablo83

Posted January 20, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Check to make sure the shift lever still has a tight fit on it's shaft. When it comes loose it makes shifting more difficult, particularly into lower gears. Otherwise, the bike should be fine.

• bush_rider

Posted January 22, 2010 - 07:11 AM

Mine does it all the time, every bike does it, its nothing to be worried about.

• YamaLink

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:17 AM

Yep, other than crashing on the shifter side on a big ol' rock and checking the lever and splines (which should be checked for proper torque periodically anyway....I had a loose lever come off mid-ride, not fun).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.