Help---Dropped Circlip in crank case

12 replies to this topic
  • cbesing

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:42 PM

Some how the circlip got past the rag...any ideas on how to fish it out? Do I have to split the case?

• 06rm125

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:47 PM

you are going to have to split the cases

• coreyl

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:50 PM

maybe a small magnetic pen would work

• cwcarter

Posted January 03, 2010 - 08:11 PM

Try the magnetic pick up tool first.
If that dosn't work tip the motor over and try flushing with diesel and air.

• MX4Life

Posted January 03, 2010 - 08:39 PM

Try putting a little grease on the crank and slowly turn the engine over. Sometimes the clip will stick to the grease. Good luck.

• Nizzle

Posted January 04, 2010 - 12:46 AM

That happened to me when rebuilding a friends quad (yfz) and I got it out by turning the motor upside down and shaking it for about 5 minutes

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • specialkcrf

Posted January 04, 2010 - 02:48 AM

that just happend to me on my crf 350 yesterday i happended to have this long cabob metal thhing in my garage for some reasonon and fished around and somehow i got it i was pissed when i dropped that thing in there i thought i was going to have to spliy yhr cases good luck man

• cbesing

Posted January 04, 2010 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the advise...the worst part is that I am not sure it dropped in but I cant find it!

• l_campionero

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the advise...the worst part is that I am not sure it dropped in but I cant find it!

Same happened to me with a shim. I took the engine out of the frame, and took the ignition cover off to start the disassembly, and I saw the shim laying in the bottom, so I fished it out with a magnet. YAY!

• almostinvincible119

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:58 AM

The way I go when rebuilding a motor, wether it be 2-stroke or 4-stroke ( I learned this on a two stroke) is to take a couple rags and shove them into the opening so you KNOW that nothing can get in there.

When I say shove, I dont mean cram rags down to the bottom of the cases, I'm just saying put some rags in the openings.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2010 - 09:51 AM

Same happened to me with a shim. I took the engine out of the frame, and took the ignition cover off to start the disassembly, and I saw the shim laying in the bottom, so I fished it out with a magnet. YAY!

That's a good point. Removing the flywheel cover does get you a look at the low point of the sump (the sump screen is visible through a port behind the flywheel.)

Another thing along the lines of greasing the crank is to firmly tie a bit of rag to a length of wire, grease it, and pull it through under the crank. If it doesn't surface, check the screen area again.

If you did not actually see where it went, the possibilities are endless. I've seen circlips fly 20 feet easily. I know one guy who fished around in his engine for hours, and finally pulled it out of the frame. The clip was sitting on his glide plate. :moon:

• BC3

Posted January 04, 2010 - 10:30 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]That or duct tape.........[/COLOR]

• fritzelman

Posted January 05, 2010 - 04:33 PM

I had this happen to one of my old two strokers. We ended up hanging it from a tree (literally) from the back tire cause we didn't want to unmount the motor. A little shaking and a magnetic pen finally did the trick. I'll have to see if I can find the pic of it. But either way, flipping the bike up on end was what worked for us. Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.