why blue woods bikes?

23 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:24 PM

I ride single track trails a lot in the NW. Ill say 75% of the bikes on the trail are orange and pretty much the rest of them are blue. of the the yamahas they are both wrs and yzfs. why would you say they are more common than other jap brands?

• trailrider95

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:27 PM

hondas top end SUCKS.(valves etc)
kawai's-im not sure why? good question
husquvarna(sp)-really no dealers around here that i know of?
husaberg-same as husquvarna
suzukis-i hear they dont have that good of power,but turn and handle great.

its just what people prefer,and can get the best deal on

• swisscheese

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:29 PM

I read in some car magazine that blue cars are faster, maybe the same applies to bikes?

• ears2244

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I've owned plenty of blue, really dependable. Just not as much usable power as the KTM. MY OPINION! Not hating on Yamaha, just sayin...

• swisscheese

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I've owned plenty of blue, really dependable. Just not as much usable power as the KTM. MY OPINION! Not hating on Yamaha, just sayin...

Depends on what you do to set it up

• coreyl

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:49 PM

the yamahas are much more reliable and have good full range power and it is just the peoples opinions on what they want

• SparksXR426

Posted January 03, 2010 - 06:52 PM

It really comes down to the dealers in the area. I know there are alot of very brand loyal guys around (Im one of them to a point) but it doesnt matter how good a bike is if there isnt a dealer in the area selling them. Where I am I see probably equal amounts of everything just because there are a number of dealers around. Pick your colour, if your good it wont matter what you ride and its the same if you suck.

• ron_m

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:02 PM

I ride single track trails a lot in the NW. Ill say 75% of the bikes on the trail are orange and pretty much the rest of them are blue. of the the yamahas they are both wrs and yzfs. why would you say they are more common than other jap brands?

I realize that your thread pertains to the NW region of the country, but I did want to say that it is somewhat similar here in N.C. where I ride the majority of the time. There is this one motor sports park that is an incredible place to ride. Lots and lots of trails for every skill level of rider and the vast majority of the bikes that you see there are orange and blue. Depending on which day you ride at this place, it is pretty much a toss up between KTM and Yamaha for which brand of bike you see the most of; followed by Honda, then Suzuki. I haven't seen very many Kawasaki bikes at this place for some reason.

• YamaLink

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:10 PM

Adding to the good input, at the last few Idaho City Qualifiers they listed the most popular bike brands.

KTM was way on top.
Then Yamaha.

I think it may also be due to contingency or availability of used bikes. Yamaha YZ 250 two strokes, in particular, are very sought after these days, the 2006 and newer.

I'm not anti-Honda, having owned many, but the valve issue makes selling/buying a new one for a season or three of racing an iffy proposition sometimes.

Kawasaki used to rule the off-road racing scene. Maybe it's their pull-out of some regional series.

• ron_m

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:24 PM

Adding to the good input, at the last few Idaho City Qualifiers they listed the most popular bike brands.

KTM was way on top.
Then Yamaha.

I think it may also be due to contingency or availability of used bikes. Yamaha YZ 250 two strokes, in particular, are very sought after these days, the 2006 and newer.

I'm not anti-Honda, having owned many, but the valve issue makes selling/buying a new one for a season or three of racing an iffy proposition sometimes.

Kawasaki used to rule the off-road racing scene. Maybe it's their pull-out of some regional series.

As a 2007 YZ250 owner, I will say that I can fully understand why the 2006-up YZ250s are highly sought after these days. It really doesn't require a whole lot of mods for these bikes to be transformed into serious woods weapons. :moon:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:28 PM

KTM has the most truly purpose-built competition grade woods/enduro bikes in out-of-the-crate form, no question. And if you don't like one, they have another that's a little different.

Yamaha has produced the WR line for quite a while, and established a reputation as a reliable, reasonably good enduro machine that is "near race ready". The YZF gets in on the act because it's so much lighter, snappier, better suspended for higher speeds, and more nimble than the WRF. It's an MX bike, and not all that suitable for woods riding, but they arer widely available, and do a pretty good job of it. Both Yamahas are reliable, less expensive than KTM's, cheaper to fix than KTM's, and easier to get parts for.

The same could be said of Honda, except for the spotty reputation of the earlier CRF's, and the relatively late arrival of the X models.

• ron_m

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:37 PM

KTM has the most truly purpose-built competition grade woods/enduro bikes in out-of-the-crate form, no question. And if you don't like one, they have another that's a little different.

Yamaha has produced the WR line for quite a while, and established a reputation as a reliable, reasonably good enduro machine that is "near race ready". The YZF gets in on the act because it's so much lighter, snappier, better suspended for higher speeds, and more nimble than the WRF. It's an MX bike, and not all that suitable for woods riding, but they arer widely available, and do a pretty good job of it. Both Yamahas are reliable, less expensive than KTM's, cheaper to fix than KTM's, and easier to get parts for.

The same could be said of Honda, except for the spotty reputation of the earlier CRF's, and the relatively late arrival of the X models.

Good post and right on the money too! I have a lot of respect for what KTM has done with regards to their product lineup offerings. They have done an excellent job at offering a bike for pretty much anyone out there. Their marketing and R&D departments both are obviously loaded with talent.

• mx730md

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:46 PM

i think the four stroke yamaha are a great off road platform. very confidence inspiring . really durable plus relatively cheap parts when you compare prices to other brands... it never does anything wired that catch's you off guard or make you more tentative. extremely stable at speed or even in the rocks/roots with a very planted feel. this is just my opinion i dont have much seat time on other bikes though so im only comparing it to a crf250r / yz 250 two stroke / ktm xc250 / yz250f 2006

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted January 03, 2010 - 07:48 PM

i like green myself but got a smokin deal on my 07 so i couldnt pass it up!!!!

• humpness

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:27 PM

my opinions agree w/ grayracer as well I guess i didnt realize it. when i was shopping for a bike i wanted an mx bike while being trail capable with modifications.

• tribalbc

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:42 PM

On the 450 end ever try to ride a KX450f or CRF450r in truly tight woods. The power delivery is way to abrupt and wears you down quick, along with lots of clutch abuse getting the engine extra hot in the slow going.
The late model Yamahas power is smooth which makes them much more desirable in tight woods. The Suzuki's have smooth power as well, you just don't seem to see many Suzukis around :moon:

The offroad races here in BC are about 70% KTM, 20% Yamaha and the odd Husky, Kawi ,Honda and Suzuki. There are probably more Gas Gas bikes than the Hondas, Suzuki's and Kawi's combined :cheers:

• barbwire44

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:16 AM

Ohio seems to follow suit, probably 60% ktm, 25% yamaha, 10% gasgas, and then the mix of the others. What really surprised me last summer was the amount of gas gas bikes, actually 4 of my riding buddies switched over to them last year, if it weren't for the resale I would have one, those ec300 6 speeds are really awesome woods machines.

• nephic

Posted January 04, 2010 - 10:01 AM

I think alot of it has to do with the flexability of the package. The SSS Forks are good for everything, and if you read the mags, which is a loaded gun, they always identify the YZ as a good crossover machine for both moto and off-road.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2010 - 10:39 AM

I think alot of it has to do with the flexability of the package. The SSS Forks are good for everything, and if you read the mags, which is a loaded gun, they always identify the YZ as a good crossover machine for both moto and off-road.

YZ450's do work quite well considering that they really are an MX bike by design.

IMO, they have two fairly major shortcomings as a top notch off-roader:

• The typical MX close ratio gear box
  • Lack of power for race grade lighting
The gearbox can be swapped out for about $450 in parts, and a lot of work, but upgrading the electrical system is not nearly so practical as the trans is.

• cowboyona426

Posted January 04, 2010 - 10:42 AM

I have a blue woods bike because I've always had really good luck with Yamahas. Thought about selling it and joining the pumpkin crowd, but not having payments and a dead reliable bike won me over. I've only ever owned 1 bike that wasn't a Yamaha and I've been real happy with them. Honestly I felt like my 00 was a better woods bike than my 06, but I still love my 06. My daughter and I are trying to convince mom that "we" need to get me a new 10 in the next year so that she doesn't have to worry about burning herself on the header anymore :moon:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.