More HC piston questions?

4 replies to this topic
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted January 02, 2010 - 10:46 PM

OK i was just talking to a friend about going through with the 13:5.1 on my 03 yz450. I told him i figure by doing this it will be better for piston to valve clearance since i am running stage 1 hotcams. He seems to think, that by doing so there will be to much compression and i have a good chance of damaging the valves if i dont get stronger ones such as titanium or such. Mind you this is coming from a car mechanics standpoint, but i figured i would ask the masters. I am looking for that beastly low and mid without a bore so i figured this would be the way to go. But is it nescessary to do the valves and put ones with more guts in?

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 02, 2010 - 10:59 PM

OK i was just talking to a friend about going through with the 13:5.1 on my 03 yz450. I told him i figure by doing this it will be better for piston to valve clearance since i am running stage 1 hotcams. He seems to think, that by doing so there will be to much compression and i have a good chance of damaging the valves if i dont get stronger ones such as titanium or such. Mind you this is coming from a car mechanics standpoint, but i figured i would ask the masters. I am looking for that beastly low and mid without a bore so i figured this would be the way to go. But is it nescessary to do the valves and put ones with more guts in?

if im not mistaken your 03 already has titanium valves. there are people here that run cams and hi comp pistons and have no problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Most aftermarket high performance pistons will have more valve clearance, but your Stage I cams have no more lift than stock, so that's a non-issue. Your bike also already has titanium valves, and high-compression pistons add no more stress to the valve train, anyway. If it needs valve work, it will be independent of whether or not the piston is changed.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2010 - 06:37 PM

I would add stiffer valve springs or new ones.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted January 07, 2010 - 01:14 PM

I was going to try and change the springs and seals just to do it because im sure it has never been done before but thank you all for the info!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.