Shift stop lever: I'm one lucky SOB!

2 replies to this topic
  • natehawes

Posted January 02, 2010 - 02:55 PM

So after a hard landing a few weeks ago I was having trouble getting my bike into neutral. After a lot of input from your guys, I decided to check the shift shaft and that whole assembly first, and then the shift forks if it wasn't that.

After taking off the clutch and shift shaft assembly, it became clear what the problem was....NO BEARINGS IN THE SHIFT STOP LEVER.

There have been other posts on TT talking about this
http://www.thumperta...replace segment
and it is a real problem. All the bearings on mine were gone, and the outer race was just rubbing on the inner explains why I couldn't shift into neutral.

I don't have a magnetic oil plug, yet, and so I was lucky that none of the bearings appear to have done any damage. I was able to fish them all out from the oil area in the tranny. Here are some pic:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you have not already done so, please replace the crappy ball bearing style stop lever with the solid roller style from 2007. The new part number is:

Here is a picture of my segment. Do you think it needs replacing?
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2010 - 03:55 PM

• DRZ04

Posted January 02, 2010 - 10:33 PM

I would try to dress up the damage. Clean up the sharp edges & basically polish up the damaged area with out removing much if any material. If you have a dremel & a fine stone for the dremel it should clean up easily. Take your time and easy does it.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.