2010 450 MX Bikes Comparison Data and Graphs Thread

42 replies to this topic
  • Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 07, 2010 - 06:55 PM

You got that right. There are problems with the 09 Honda that I have yet to even read in any forum. Albeit these were on team bikes, the parts that are busting are stock O.E.M pieces. And '10 Honda did not address these issues.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ProMed

Posted January 08, 2010 - 06:01 AM

At the cost of reliability?

The weight gained by these bikes is going to places you don't hear about....all aimed at gaining run time.

The manu's have figured out that bike sales are horrible. They have also figured out that people are struggling to keep their old 4t's running...and that resale is a pain now days.

If they can change the bikes to be more reliable, boost used resale, they can boost new sales as well.

The honda, which IMHO defines race bike to a T (but has issues...) is very light. It is also plagued with more failures than any 450 to date. I have seen quite a few come through my shop...and heard of a quite a few through others. Less weight has its cost.

EFI also adds weight sadly...though I am sure that will easily come down.

It sounds like you re making excuses for the manufacturers. The bikes could be both much lighter and more reliable, if the manufacturers really wanted them to be. The issue isn't reliability, it's money and motivation. The 12-13 pound weight difference between the Honda & Yamaha is significant no matter how you slice it. I would absolutely love to have the better balanced Yamaha with a 10-12 weight loss. They could do it while maintaining reliability, but they felt they didn't need to do it to sell bikes. Since most buyers of the bike are jsut going to be riding it on trails in their back yard.

What issues exactly are you referring to on the Honda that are result of it being too light? I frequent both this board and the CRF450 board more than any others, and I certainly have not seen anything remotely tying these two together.

• ProMed

Posted January 15, 2010 - 12:32 PM

Wanted to post this here to keep all the data together.

These are the measurements I found:

Seat Height
RMZ450 - 37.6"
CRF450R - 37.6"
KX450F - 38"
450SX-F - 38.8"
YZ450F - 39.4"

Ground Clearance

CRF450R - 13.1"
KX450F - 13.4"
RMZ450 - 13.8"
YZ450F - 15"
450SX-F - 15.1"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.