Bike creeps while in gear...

14 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted December 31, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have an 06 yz450f with the original clutch. I'm pretty hard on the clutch and I think it is finally time for a new one. When I pull in the clutch and put my bike in gear it wants to creep forward alot and everyone tells me that means its time to replace the clutch. Yes the cable is adjusted properly, but my question is why would the bike creep if the clutch is going bad... i would assume that if its brand new it would tend to creep, not when its going bad. I know thats not the way it works, i just dont understand how a creeping clutch means the clutch is worn. I realize that if it was slipping it would be bad for sure. Any help? Should I also stick with an oem clutch? I care more about reliability and longevity. I hear people ripping through Hinson clutches and other aftermarket clutches very quickly.

• the xr dude

Posted December 31, 2009 - 01:45 PM

The springs are worn thats all you need to replace.:moon:

• brentn

Posted December 31, 2009 - 01:50 PM

I think he means that it creeps forward when the clutch lever is held in all the way.

If this is the case then it sounds like your clutch basket and/or hub is worn and holding onto the plates instead of dis-engaging them like they should when you hold in the lever. It can cause the bike to creep when in gear and the clutch held in, also known as a 'grabby clutch' :moon:

You can file the hub/basket if the notches are present to give the edges the straight surface that they once had, but it's only a temp fix and in the end the chances of notches appearing again quickly are higher. You can also break clutch plates this way if there is too much room for them too move when referring to the space between each basket "leg".

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted December 31, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Thanks!
Yes I meant the bike creeps forward when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in all the way. So the creeping is most likely due strictly to the worn basket or hub, rather than worn plates? I'm going to replace the clutch either way but I was just wondering. I'll take it apart and check for wear on the basket and hub and decide what else needs to be replaced.
As for a "grabby clutch", I think that's what I may be experiencing. I stalled my bike TWICE yesterday in a corner, and I don't think I've ever stalled in a turn before. Could this mean that I'm having a grabby clutch?

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Yes I meant the bike creeps forward when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in all the way. So the creeping is most likely due strictly to the worn basket or hub, rather than worn plates?

Not necessarily:

http://www.thumperta...842#post7891842

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted December 31, 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thanks gray. Since I'm going to be replacing my clutch plates anyways, would it be a good idea to install new clutch springs as well? is it necessary?

• thestuz

Posted December 31, 2009 - 07:52 PM

if your clutch isnt slipping, your springs should be fine(check them with specs)
sounds like yoiur plates r fkd. i had the same problem on my cr500, new plates now it runs like a dream:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks gray. Since I'm going to be replacing my clutch plates anyways, would it be a good idea to install new clutch springs as well? is it necessary?

OEM springs are $25 a set. If yours don't match up with the manual specs, replace them.

• brentn

Posted January 01, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Wouldn't springs out of spec cause slipping and not grabbing? Not trying to contradict you I'm just trying to understand

thx gray

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Wouldn't springs out of spec cause slipping and not grabbing? Not trying to contradict you I'm just trying to understand

thx gray

No one except you in this thread has said anything regarding a grabby clutch. "Grabby" (abrupt engagement) clutches are a completely different problem than a "dragging", or creeping clutches (incomplete release).

• jicky83

Posted January 01, 2010 - 06:08 PM

hey I wheelie, I had the same problem on the same bike 2 months ago. will the creeping go away after you crack the throttle? anyway grooves in the hub and basket will hold the plates together until enough force breaks them free, i.e. rev. engine. I'm replaced everything! hub, hinson steel basket for wear and flywheel weight,clutch pack(ebc),springs. should have it done next week ,but I'm positive that is my problem.I messed with for a month. I had filled down the basket teeth,different oil, but I didn't look closely enough at the hub, after further inspection I found it was grooved also.

• Diode663

Posted January 02, 2010 - 05:44 PM

I have had two 450s, and in my experience the stock clutch boss is made of play dough. I would replace it without question.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2010 - 08:10 PM

I have had two 450s, and in my experience the stock clutch boss is made of play dough. I would replace it without question.

The stock bosses hold up reasonably well. Obviously not as well as Hinsons, but most applications don't call for something that strong. If you need a boss, consider this:

Hinson/GYT-R boss: $280

4 (Four) OEM bosses: $240

:moon:

• Diode663

Posted January 03, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Thats true, they are significantly cheaper, but If I'm gonna take something apart, its gonna get an upgrade if possible. I guess I'm a little biased because I get these things at dealer cost, but not having to redo the basket and boss again even at retail would be more then worth it to me. I guess he has to decide whats more important.

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2010 - 05:21 PM

Thats true, they are significantly cheaper, ... I guess he has to decide whats more important.

Some of us have budget constraints to think about, too, and the question is one of cost/benefit anyway.

Pressure plates and baskets are different matters because the price is much closer to upgrade, and in fact, in the case of a basket, Hinson/GYT-R baskets actually cost less than the OEM part, so if the driven gear and cushion assembly is healthy, why would anyone chose not to upgrade?

But the boss in both my '06's is over two years old and causing no problems at present, so I don't have a problem spending 20% of the price of the best boss I can get, even if it only lasts half as long.

As far as the pressure plate goes, the OEM parts in the '06 and up are much better than their predecessors were, and unless I were doing an '06 9 plate clutch conversion on an '07+, or the plate was damaged or worn, I don't see why it would need to be replaced, or what the advantage would be to most people.

Again, very severe use, or modified engines for SM or flat track are another matter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.