a exhausting question for you

8 replies to this topic
  • minty0_10

Posted December 31, 2009 - 11:09 AM

i have a 2004 wr 450 the stock tail pipe is rubbish in the way it looks and sounds.
does anyone now if the stock OEM tail pipe of a 06 will fit my 04 bike there the ovel alloy shape,

ive read they wont fit but surely all the steal frames from 03 to 07 are the same?

thanks in adavance :moon:

• Treebark

Posted December 31, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I have been using an YZ pipe. Can get one from ebay cheap and it will increase throttle response and HP. 2004-05 are the same not sure about 06.

• minty0_10

Posted January 01, 2010 - 10:52 AM

im after something quite and the yz is a bit loud through,
anyone know what the difference is?

• ArcticWR400

Posted January 02, 2010 - 08:39 AM

im after something quite and the yz is a bit loud through,
anyone know what the difference is?

From what I understand, the YZ pipe is more free-flowing, which will be louder and give you more power. It shouldn't be unreasonably loud.

I have a WR with YZ timing mod and FMF aftermarket pipe. If I'm going for more than a 10 min ride, I wear earplugs (if I begin to lose my hearing I lose my job) but I don't think a YZ pipe would be nearly that extreme, especially if you still have the stock WR timing.

PS - Call, email, or visit your dealer and talk to a mechanic who's been working on these bikes for a little while. See what they think about an 06 YZ pipe on your bike :moon:

Edited by ArcticWR400, January 02, 2010 - 08:42 AM.
Adding the PS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minty0_10

Posted January 02, 2010 - 10:23 AM

mate of mine has a yz and its a bit loud for what i want, ive been offered a 06wr can and front pipe but from what ive been told it wont fit my bike? just like to know why it wont fit as in whats different on a 04 to a 06 bike both with steal frames, or if anyone has tried it before.

• ArcticWR400

Posted January 02, 2010 - 11:32 AM

mate of mine has a yz and its a bit loud for what i want, ive been offered a 06wr can and front pipe but from what ive been told it wont fit my bike? just like to know why it wont fit as in whats different on a 04 to a 06 bike both with steal frames, or if anyone has tried it before.

A YZF bike or a YZF can on a WR bike? There is a difference, as the exhaust timing on the YZF makes it louder than a WR. I'm not trying to argue I'm just saying that putting a YZF can onto a WR doesn't necessarily mean it will be as loud as the YZF. Also, is the '06 can you're interested in free? Because if it's free, just try it and if you don't like it you can always just bolt the stock system back on... if it doesn't fit just throw it out or ebay it or something. At least that's what I would do. My $0.02 worth.

PS - If I had actually been paying attention i would have seen that the '06 can and forward pipe you're speaking of ISN'T a YZF one, its a WR one... Sorry for the confusion.
PPS - I stand by trying a YZF can as the WR's milder timing will result in it remaining quieter than the YZF with the same muffler.

Edited by ArcticWR400, January 02, 2010 - 11:36 AM.
clarification and PS

• WholeShotKing

Posted January 02, 2010 - 03:35 PM

If you have the money, I'd recommend the FMF Q Exhaust. If not that, most companies now offer a end pipe piece that quiets the exhaust note on their racing pipes while still providing a ton more power than the stock pipe. You'll be amazed....... Faster and just a bit louder. I have a FMF with the quiet insert and love it.

Be sure to increase the pilot jet by one size. I put a 48 in it. And you may be able to lower the clip on the needle jet too.

• ShibbyZ

Posted January 10, 2010 - 06:14 AM

The '06 YZ is the difference, aluminum frame. The '06 WR is the same as the '05 YZ and the exhaust will mount the same back thru '03. I have a White Bros E2 on my WR450. Quiet, spark arrestor and really opened up some HP.

• MaxPower

Posted January 10, 2010 - 08:16 AM

[COLOR="Green"]best cheapest easiest thing you can do for your WR is change the pipe.
I think I may have an extra YZ pipe with a DrD end cap if you want to ad a spark arrestor insert in it.
Change that pipe
You wont believe how good your bike really runs[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.