2010 will not start.

32 replies to this topic
  • freerider_australia

Posted December 31, 2009 - 03:41 PM

mine starts 2-3 cold and 1-2 warm i have tryed starting like a 2 stroke just kicking and might start in about 5 kicks do the top dead centre procedure no problems 1-2
from what i understand the full throttle clear out procdure with efi does not fire the injector
got 3hr17mins on mine and no problems starting
you may have another fault

• MX4Life

Posted December 31, 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'm almost ready to sell the new techno wonder and keep my 09. I tried again tonight w/o the filter, no luck. I drained the fuel from the dealer and put in Sunoco premium. I couldn't figure out how to remove the clip on the line to the tank/pump, so I poured it out the fill opening. I'm thinking the pump/injector may have some of the flame retardant still in them. I normally flush the tank and carb before I first start my new bikes. Is there a way to drain the injector and line to it? I guess my next step is to find an auto store open Jan 1st and buy some starter fluid. :moon: (opps..I meant starting fluid)

Edited by MX4Life, January 01, 2010 - 07:30 AM.

• freerider_australia

Posted December 31, 2009 - 06:50 PM

being you had a wet plug have you checked for spark ?also check all your wiring make sure all the plug are in properly even unplug them plug them back in
do you have warrenty ? take it back and get them to check there is a big list in the manual of faults that can occur with efi they can check with diagonastic tool
the coldest weather i have had is around 15 degrees c it summer i aus at the moment and had no problem starting

• nephic

Posted December 31, 2009 - 10:51 PM

Absolutely take her to the dealer and have them help you walk through your issues. Blowing up a new bike is a bad idea when there may be some weird issue. we had issues with a series of the Yamaha Nitro EFI sleds two years ago at a dealership that I was weekending at. Turned out a series of sleds in a specific run had some sensor issues that were easily remedied. A good dealership will appreciate the learning experience and knowing your issues so they can help other customers.

• bendover932

Posted January 01, 2010 - 04:52 AM

nephic..Don't think that's the case with the stealer he got this bike from... Lol
Doug ... That sucks that ur havin a problem but at least it's not sunny an 60*... lol

• jaybird67k

Posted January 01, 2010 - 09:03 AM

Does it have compression?
Does it have Fire?
Does it have Fuel & Air?

I would take the plug out, use a eye dropper and put a squirt of fuel in and replace the plug and kick it. If it fires this will tell you that your injector may not be firing for what ever reason. It will also tell you if you have fire going to the plug obviously because it fired.
If it doesnt fire after directly injecting fuel into the cylinder then it could be compression, valve timing ect..

buy some starter fluid.

Don't do this. You will never learn to troubleshoot anything like this.

Just a thought.

Later, Jason

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX4Life

Posted January 01, 2010 - 10:39 AM

Yes I have spark and the plug was wet, so I have fuel. Yamaha ships the bikes with a liquid flame retardant in the tank. If think this crap fouled the plug. I left the new plug out overnight to air out the cylinder. It started today on the 3rd kick. Still takes a few kicks to restart. This would suck if I stalled in a moto. Hopefully after break-in and some time on the motor it will get better. Unfortunately there's snow on the ground and the only track nearby, Blue Diamond, is closed. If only they had equipment, like a bulldozer, to clear the track. (Insert sarcasm here.)

• ReedRulz

Posted January 01, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Yes I have spark and the plug was wet, so I have fuel. Yamaha ships the bikes with a liquid flame retardant in the tank. If think this crap fouled the plug. I left the new plug out overnight to air out the cylinder. It started today on the 3rd kick. Still takes a few kicks to restart. This would suck if I stalled in a moto. Hopefully after break-in and some time on the motor it will get better. Unfortunately there's snow on the ground and the only track nearby, Blue Diamond, is closed. If only they had equipment, like a bulldozer, to clear the track. (Insert sarcasm here.)

You will get use to starting it. All my bikes have been a little different starting technique but its easy wants you learn it.

• boosted22

Posted January 01, 2010 - 12:23 PM

you will defeaintly get use to starting it, mine was preety hard to start at first, and still is cold, but getting there now, i had a preety big get off not long after i got mine ( didint see this big wash out in 4th about half throttle darn thing) even after that and when i finally got up lol, the bike fired up first kick no problems.

• jaybird67k

Posted January 01, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Glad to hear she's running..............cool.

Later, jason

• MX4Life

Posted January 02, 2010 - 01:53 PM

Well today was another day and...it wouldn't start. I tried everything again. Changed the plug, used cold knob, didn't use cold knob, held throttle wide open to clear out cylinder etc... I was already writing my "For Sale" ad. As a last resort I did what Yamaha says never to do under penalty of death...I held the throttle open just a crack. Success, it started. That made me think the idle was too low. I set the idle to 2150rpm and it seems to be working. I'll try again Sunday and see if the beast starts. At this point I'm kinda stuck with her. I already installed the GYTR graphics, bought the power tuner($20 batteries not included) and have a Dr.D pipe sitting there in the box. And I've yet to ride it in the dirt, around the dealer parking lot doesn't count. Wish me luck tomorrow.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 02, 2010 - 03:07 PM

Man I was really hoping you got it. Yamaha has a 30day warranty even with that if you have not rode this bike yet and with all the stuff your trying to get it started I would load this back in the truck and bring it back to the dealer.

Good luck

• Skotten

Posted March 29, 2010 - 09:12 AM

Yeah I am with you on the no batterys in the tuner I was bumed on that one too...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.