Stripped Shift Shaft??

7 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted December 30, 2009 - 07:43 PM

The teeth on my '07 450f shift shaft are f'ed am I? I have average to slightly above mechanical skills, is this a doable repair? Has anyone ever had to replace theirs? Advice appreciated as usual....Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2009 - 08:03 PM

You will have to drain the coolant and oil, remove the right crankcase cover, and the clutch. After that, you pretty much just pull the old one out and slide the new one in.

• jcolborn48

Posted December 30, 2009 - 08:31 PM

As usual you have the answer, seems doable. Why do I have to drain the coolant though?

• grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2009 - 08:58 PM

Because you have to take the right side crankcase cover off. There's a passage that runs from the water pump through the cover and into the crankcase.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lota Fun R

Posted December 30, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Or you could do What I've done back when I was a poor kid. Drill a hole threw the shift lever and shaft and put a nut and bolt in it. But the next time you dump it on that side it will likely break it off and then you'll be forced to change it.

Drill motor, drill bit of appropriate size, nut and bolt. use a nyloc or loctite on it.

You have nothing to lose.

• tek_01

Posted December 31, 2009 - 12:41 AM

Just do it properly i rekon. Much easier than splitting the cases like i had to on my xr400
just follow the manual and go slow if you have never done it before

• jcolborn48

Posted December 31, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the input. Assuming, the only problem is the stripped shaft, can anyone see why I would need any other parts other than just Item #1, the shift shaft itself. I've attached the parts diagram below

• grayracer513

Posted December 31, 2009 - 09:33 AM

Spring for seal, too, and a gasket for the crankcase cover.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.