I'm curious about knee braces

4 replies to this topic
  • Dutch

Posted May 04, 2003 - 03:15 AM

Had my left knee scoped three weeks ago. My doctor wrote me a perscription for knee braces, (CTI2's), for both knees and my insurance will pay 100% :D I suspect there are other riders on this forum with knee brace experience and would like to hear their impressions. How long did it take to get comfortable with them? Any long term problems?
Thanks in advance and my apologies to anyone I may have insulted in the last three weeks, (I'll blame the Vicoden :))

• FooBarr

Posted May 04, 2003 - 07:58 PM

Bought a pair of Asteriks, forgot about them after 15 mins of riding. They adjust pretty well. Got them too tight the first few time out, kind of makes you leg look deformed by the end of the day. I have no knee problems other than my left pops during deep knee bends. Bought them as a prevention measure. I think CTI is the parent company to asteriks.

I reccomend them highly. Armor your body, then your bike. After that come performance parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sunnymex

Posted May 09, 2003 - 01:45 PM

Dutch,

You will feel naked riding without them afterwards. I just bought a pair of EVS braces and so far they work pretty well. The CTI I hear are the best around.

Maybe your Doc could sponsor me with a prescription also.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted May 15, 2003 - 07:11 AM

Aren't you lucky!!
I went to the doc after having a torn MCL, and then again to the doc after tearing my miniscus(s). He wouldn't do "Preventitive" maintenance... I thought... "what an ass!" But I also told him my knee issues were from motorcycle issues... he didn't like that too much.

ANYWAY... enough ranting.
I purchased Asterisks as well. Love'em. But I've heard bad stories about "strings" breaking when a crash occurs...etc. I've had no problems, but I haven't crashed (knock on wood) with them. And ya, you forget about them once your riding. It's nice to not have the insides of your knees sore from gripping the tank so much. The only complaint I have... they're bulky. Good thing I wear "baggies" and not the tighter in the boot riding pants. I'm not sure if they would fit under them.

• Dutch

Posted May 15, 2003 - 12:53 PM

Yes - I'm lucky. My doctor didn't want to prescribe me the braces either. He said I needed bigger injuries to my knees to get the insurance company to pay. So I mentioned to him the brace company has ads in the magazines where they will refer you to a doctor who will write a prescription and he changed his mind in a hurry. He was more surprised than me when the insurance co. said ok for both knees.
The doctors office called yesterday and I pick them up tommorow, (Fri), so I'll be trying them out this weekend.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.