I finally joined the ranks of the 450 crowd!

16 replies to this topic
  • LVThumper

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:23 PM

Well, dad finally got his first new bike!! I picked up a brand new '08 YZ450 tonight!! :cheers: Loading it in the truck, it felt as light as my son's 125 (compared to the '01 426). Although the boys have each had a couple of new bikes, I always went the used route, until tonight!! I haven't been this excited in a LONG time! Plus I got a screaming deal too! :moon: I can't wait to start ordering desert parts for this bad boy! 2010 is going to be one hell of a fun year for me!!

Now comes the fun part - tear it all down, grease it up, send the suspension off, toss the chain, replace the chain slider and disk guard, put the bark busters on, raise the bars, new tall seat, swap out the tires, etc. etc. :smirk:

Crappy camera phone pic -

Posted Image

:smirk:

• coreyl

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:43 PM

nice i just got a 2007 yz450 today these bikes rip

• freerider_australia

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:52 PM

the old 426 would be like riding a truck ! the 08 is much better light and also starts easyer
enjoy all that power there heaps of it

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:06 PM

Well, dad finally got his first new bike!! I picked up a brand new '08 YZ450 tonight!! :cheers: Loading it in the truck, it felt as light as my son's 125 (compared to the '01 426). Although the boys have each had a couple of new bikes, I always went the used route, until tonight!! I haven't been this excited in a LONG time! Plus I got a screaming deal too! :moon: I can't wait to start ordering desert parts for this bad boy! 2010 is going to be one hell of a fun year for me!!

Now comes the fun part - tear it all down, grease it up, send the suspension off, toss the chain, replace the chain slider and disk guard, put the bark busters on, raise the bars, new tall seat, swap out the tires, etc. etc. :smirk:

Crappy camera phone pic -

Posted Image

:smirk:

nice feeling isn't it! Congrats and welcome to blue blood country

• LVThumper

Posted December 30, 2009 - 12:06 PM

It's been a long time coming, and I couldn't be happier!! :moon:

• McGill

Posted December 30, 2009 - 02:44 PM

How was the customer service at RideNow?

• cwcarter

Posted December 30, 2009 - 03:03 PM

Have fun and congratulations on your new bike.:moon:

• drumurr

Posted December 30, 2009 - 04:23 PM

good luck and enjoy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted December 30, 2009 - 04:56 PM

Congrats you are gonna love your new bike.

• LVThumper

Posted December 30, 2009 - 09:55 PM

How was the customer service at RideNow?

I have had some bad experience with them in the past for parts and pricing of new bikes, but I must say they were great! I told them where I needed to be, let them know I had cash in hand, they called back about two hours later with the right price. I told them I would be there about an hour or so later and the bike (I actually waiting a little for them to finish up the bike prep) and paperwork were ready to go. I can't say one bad thing about them. :moon:

• Lota Fun R

Posted December 30, 2009 - 10:48 PM

You guys crack me up! I just got an ole 426 and couldn't be happier about it.

What's the matter with the tires? How much for them shipped to 93550 (so cal)?

• myoung

Posted December 31, 2009 - 10:17 AM

I just started racing again last June. I was racing my '00 426 and doing quite well with it in the novice class, but it was still holding me back. I bought a '09 450 in September and wow, what a difference. My lap times plummeted overnight and I got moved up to the amateur class, I'm doing quite well there now.

I still love my 426 and it's a great trail ride, but I'll never race it again.

• LVThumper

Posted December 31, 2009 - 10:46 AM

It's funny because I have been racing the '01 426 for the past 3 1/2 years in desert races, GP's, and even 1 weekend at the Vet X race weekend last December at Glen Helen. I don't feel like it has been holding me back at all. I love that bike and will be sad when it goes away this weekend. At least it's going to a friend of mine, so I will get to ride it every once in a while. :moon: I can't wait to see how I do on the newer bike. I know 7 years of technology should come in handy. It feels so light and thin! :cheers: Makes me want to loose some weight!! :smirk:

• myoung

Posted December 31, 2009 - 12:16 PM

Mine was holding me back because the power just wasn't there any more. Still running the original top end and it's past due, came down to rebuild the 426, or go new. I never owned anything as reliable as that 426. I love this thing too much to get rid of it, going to do a top end when I can and save it for desert riding and race the 450. :moon:

• mywifefarts

Posted December 31, 2009 - 08:34 PM

You must have gotten a pretty sweet deal on a left over '08.:moon:

• LVThumper

Posted January 01, 2010 - 07:25 PM

$5,050.00 OTD with tax, prep, shipping, and everything else they normally stick you for. :cheers:

Broke it in on some of the Jackrabbit race course today and WOW is it ever fun!! It's mostly still bone stock, so proper springs and re-valved suspension will make even better! I can't wait to line up at the first Desert Race (the Jackrabbits course! :smirk:) I haven't been this geeked up in a LONG time!

:moon:

• jcm3

Posted March 11, 2010 - 08:58 PM

$5,050.00 OTD with tax, prep, shipping, and everything else they normally stick you for. :banana:

Broke it in on some of the Jackrabbit race course today and WOW is it ever fun!! It's mostly still bone stock, so proper springs and re-valved suspension will make even better! I can't wait to line up at the first Desert Race (the Jackrabbits course! :banana:) I haven't been this geeked up in a LONG time!

:banana:

I know this is a three month old thread, but how do you like the new bike compared to the old 426?

I just got back into riding after about a 10 year layoff, and bought a 426 so that I could go riding with my 5 year old son whenver I wanted to and so I didn't have to worry about the stupid red sticker thing in Ca.

How much of a difference do you think the newer bikes make in terms of lap times for beginner or novice level racers? I don't imagine much at my level, but just curious. :lol:

Congrats, and I hope you are enjoying your new bike!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.