aftermarket dip stick

10 replies to this topic
  • desdave

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:06 PM

Anyone know of an aftermarket billet oil dip stick of the an 08 wr450? Lots of timing and oil fill plugs available, but I haven't yet seen a replacement for the stock plastic dip stick.

• Treebark

Posted December 29, 2009 - 11:02 PM

No I looked for one also when I lost mine. Had to purchase factory one. Cheapest one I found was from cyclepartsnation.com

• desdave

Posted December 30, 2009 - 01:35 AM

That matches up with my search. I find them for hondas, but not the yz/wr. Thanks for the tip on whre to get a stock replacement.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 30, 2009 - 06:21 AM

I've been looking for one since I bought my 07 YZ450 back in Oct of 06 as the stock one is a POS! Way to easy to cross thread.

I asked WC if they'd look into making one and they said they'd seriously consider it. 4 months later they had one but it was for the CRF (not the bike that needs one. ***).

It'd be nice if some one would step up and fill this need!

Ok, rant over.

John

• desdave

Posted December 30, 2009 - 08:11 AM

Stock replacement is only $10 but still has the same fragile threads. This is a case of an actual functional improvement with a billet piece, and not just a cosmetic change. I got a line on a TT member that was fabing up a billet replacement at one time, but not sure if he still makes them. Email sent to him, waiting for answer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted December 30, 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Des.

Hopefully something comes of this asat the moment I need three of them.

John

• tribalbc

Posted December 31, 2009 - 06:50 AM

I've been looking for one since I bought my 07 YZ450 back in Oct of 06 as the stock one is a POS! Way to easy to cross thread.

I asked WC if they'd look into making one and they said they'd seriously consider it. 4 months later they had one but it was for the CRF (not the bike that needs one. ***).

It'd be nice if some one would step up and fill this need!

Ok, rant over.

John

I asked the same thing to PMB 2yrs ago and they said they would seriously consider it.
But they still only make them for CRF's as well :moon:
Probably half a dozen companys make them for Hondas but nobody for Yamaha :cheers:

• JDLowrance

Posted January 02, 2010 - 03:05 PM

There must be a machinist in our midst (at least someone who knows one). Please stand up, be recognized and help your blue brothers out!! :moon:

• ncampion

Posted January 03, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Anyone know of an aftermarket billet oil dip stick of the an 08 wr450? Lots of timing and oil fill plugs available, but I haven't yet seen a replacement for the stock plastic dip stick.

XR's Only has a neat one that has an oil temp guage mounted on top. It serves as a dip stick and also gives you the oil temp. Seems their web site does not have a picture posted, but you get the idea.

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=70

• WR_Dave

Posted January 03, 2010 - 11:48 AM

The one they have listed on XR's Only is for the old 400/426's with the filler/dipstick in the frame at the top by the triple clamps. I had on on my WR 426 , but it won't work on the 450 or the 250's. I will add a pic of it if I can find one. WR Dave
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by WR_Dave, January 04, 2010 - 05:55 PM.

• Jim813

Posted January 04, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Some information here in the YZ forum:

http://www.thumperta...hlight=dipstick

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.