just got a 2007 yz 450f. What should i know for maintinence

8 replies to this topic
  • coreyl

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:02 PM

i just got the bike today and i was wondering if there is anything specific that i should check all the time or be cautious of while working on it.
Thanks in advance.

• Smokeslider

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:09 PM

Check your valves often and replace your cam chain at 50 hours, if your bike doesn't an hour meter, get one and throw it on the machine. Change oil often and airfilter after every ride.. ... Enjoy!!!

• coreyl

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:10 PM

thanks i will pay attention to those

• freerider_australia

Posted December 29, 2009 - 09:54 PM

biggest thing is to use a good motorcycle oil and change it often

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickeenoo

Posted December 30, 2009 - 05:25 AM

If you use the right engine oil there is no need to change it after every ride unless you run the bike for 7-8 hours or more. Do a search for oil; there is lots of info.

Clean air filter after every ride.

Depending on how the bike was maintained you may want to regrease all the bearings and linkages and also service the suspension.

And as previously mentioned, check valves right now and replace cam chain every 50 hours.

Nate

• coreyl

Posted January 01, 2010 - 12:37 AM

biggest thing is to use a good motorcycle oil and change it often

what type would you recomend i use. the person before me used synthetic and i was wondering if i had to stay with synthetic.

• ReedRulz

Posted January 01, 2010 - 08:17 AM

what type would you recomend i use. the person before me used synthetic and i was wondering if i had to stay with synthetic.

I would recomend Amsoil MCF

• nickeenoo

Posted January 01, 2010 - 08:45 AM

You don't have to stay with synthetic but why wouldn't you? If you use a cheap oil it's shear stability breaks down quickly thus the need to change it after every ride. If you use a high quality synthetic, such as MCF, you can run it for about eight hours or three good rides. If you buy the oil right the cost is about the same for both, but much less time consuming to use a good synthetic.

• coreyl

Posted January 01, 2010 - 02:28 PM

ok thanks for all of the help

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.