1999 yz 400

3 replies to this topic
  • B16JAB YZ400

Posted December 29, 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hello, This is my first post on here and by the seams of things this Forum has some very knowledgeable users!
I am new to the whole Off Road World, having only had experience of road bikes having owned a couple of GSXR 600s prior to just purchasing a 1999 YZ400.

I am interested to know what to expect from this bike? As initially im a little disappointed with the power?? After reading lots of used yz400 adverts and looking at several bikes in the flesh and talking to owners, I’ve found it quite common that people are selling due to the bikes being “An Animal” or has “Too much Power” or “Cant Keep The front Wheel Down” even in 3rd gear?

Having been out on my new bike several times on the road due to it being road registered it just doesn’t seem to do what I expected? 1st & 2nd are over quite quickly 3rd & 4th pull well. I appreciate that the power delivery is going to be completely different to what ive been used to with a GSXR 600. I haven’t been able to get the front wheel up yet by just using the gas. Im 13stone and from what other people have told me this should be possible??? Is it the way I am riding it or do I need to tune the bike slightly?? Carb etc…. as maybe its bogging before it gets to the power?? The bike is standard YZ spec im unsure about jets and mixture settings. Ive also read that the valve clearances have to be spot on, if they are not could these symptoms be connected??

Im unsure what to do as from experience too much tinkering can sometimes cause more problems or make things worse.
What are the best things to do initially?

Cheers James

• WR 400F

Posted January 17, 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have 2000 wr 400 with hot cams I would clean carb new plug and clean the air filter I just pulled my carb out and main jet was partially clogged what a difference

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2010 - 12:21 PM

I’ve found it quite common that people are selling due to the bikes being “An Animal” or has “Too much Power” or “Cant Keep The front Wheel Down” even in 3rd gear?

Let's just say that that is an exaggeration. The 400 has a respectable amount of power, or should, but should hardly seem uncontrollable to anyone familiar with today's 600cc sport bikes.

• tek_01

Posted January 17, 2010 - 12:46 PM

My brothers yz400 is very similar in power to my 05 yz450.
Also you cant compare a road bike to a dirt bike. Especially if riding said dirt bike on the road.

You may need to do a bit of maintenance as well, being its a second hand bike.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.