Is Hot Start needed on an 04 WR450?

7 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Do I need my hotstart on my WR450? Is it really that big of a deal? I don't race the bike. If I can safely remove it and plug the carb somehow then I would like to do this....can anyone tell me what must be done? The less cables and crap on my bike the better. I also want to get a new clutch perch and lever. Any reccomendations?

• ArcticWR400

Posted December 27, 2009 - 09:08 AM

I don't race my '99 WR 400 either, but let me tell you... if you heat it up on a trail (coat it in mudd, get stuck, stall) you are going to thank god you have that little red knob... otherwise you can kick 'till you're blue in the face but it won't go 'till it's ready. Something to think about.

On the other hand, if you've had the bike a while and don't anticipate your riding habits to change and haven't needed the little red knob yet... you may never need it.

• Treebark

Posted December 28, 2009 - 07:30 PM

I have never really used mine, if your jetting is correct it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you seal it off good at carb, will cause problems if it isn't.

• WholeShotKing

Posted December 30, 2009 - 06:41 AM

I use mine all the time when the engine is real hot. How do I know when to use it? Simple, I press the E button and if it does not come to life right away, I just pull the HotStart lever and walla........ It starts!

For me, I must have it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted December 30, 2009 - 06:44 AM

hotstart is a good thing! If you want a cleaner setup you can get ASV levers with the thumb hotstart.....spensive but nice

• oldmanx

Posted December 30, 2009 - 01:11 PM

I use mine all the time when the engine is real hot. How do I know when to use it? Simple, I press the E button and if it does not come to life right away, I just pull the HotStart lever and walla........ It starts!

For me, I must have it!

Same here. I use mine if the bike doesn't fire on the 1st or 2nd crank. I especially seem to need it after stalling the bike...vs. a planned shutdown.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted December 30, 2009 - 04:30 PM

alight, im convinced...I'll keep it. I went ahead and got the Tokyo Mods hot start bung/knob too...I don't like plastic so much haha :-) Thanks for the advice.

• tech24

Posted December 31, 2009 - 04:46 AM

alight, im convinced...I'll keep it. I went ahead and got the Tokyo Mods hot start bung/knob too...I don't like plastic so much haha :-) Thanks for the advice.

good idea that plastic pos is a junk after a few tear downs

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.