Milky Discharge from vent tube

12 replies to this topic
  • AZ450F

Posted December 27, 2009 - 12:48 AM

Today i went to the track and warmed up my bike. i have a 03 yz450 I rode a few laps and came back and as i was putting my bike on my stand i noticed a milky substance on my stand. I called my friend over to look at it and he said it wasnt a good sign. i am new to fourstrokes and i wasnt sure what the problem was. He told me it was one a few issues a blown headgasket seal or a cracked head. i checked my fluid in the radiator and it hasnt dropped since the last time i filled it which was about a week ago when we changed the water impeller seal. so my question is, how can i narrow the problem scenarios down. the bike runs strong and doesnt over heat, it doesnt smell like its burning coolant in the oil, its never done this before, and it got below freezing here which it hasnt done in over a year since its warm az. at first i was super bummed and pissed thinking it was somehting serious. i checked my dipstick abd the oil looked fine to me. if the coolant and oil had mixed completely what color with the oil be? im gonna change it first thing in the morning and i wanna know what to look for to determine my problem. im thinking it was condensation from the cold weather and it being run for the first in a week or so. LEt me know what you guys think thanks a lot.

• Charlie755

Posted December 27, 2009 - 01:54 AM

If you are talking about the crank case vent tube it is perfectly normal. We have owned 6 Yamaha's since 06 and every one of them does that. Its just a bit of oil coming from the vent. We tend to notice it more during arenacross as the bike tends to get a bit hotter but its nothing to worry about.

• mygas

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:47 AM

I use to have a WR400F and now i have a 00´YZ426F, and some times they do me the same, its a brown mixture that (from the smell) i think its some gas mixed with oil, that leaks from the head breather, and the oil and water still ok... I don´t know how to explaine it but it hapens sometimes when you kill the engine...
Don´t worry...:moon:

• DBMX 925

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:59 AM

I had it on my 05 and 06. Now, if you change the oil and it's that color, thats a different story.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2009 - 09:11 AM

It's usually moisture condensation from the air collected in the vent tube, and nothing to worry about as long as the oil itself looks good. If the actual oil in the tank or crankcase takes on that texture and appearance, that's bad.

• AZ450F

Posted December 27, 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thanks guys im gonna go change the oil in a little bit and see what it looks like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted December 27, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Did you change your oil? I hope it was okay.

• AZ450F

Posted December 28, 2009 - 12:32 AM

no i didn't got called into work so my next day off is wednesday i'll let you know then. i did check the dipstick that day and the oil was good color and after another ride the vent tube leaked a tiny bit of black oil so im sure it was just condensation since we had a huge temp swing here. i'll be sure to let you guys know!

• FGN

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hi all,

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I thought it better than to start a new one for an issue that's been covered plenty times before.

I just joined the forum today to seek advice. Following a short ride out tonight, I noticed a "milky oil" puddle on the ground directly underneath the head breather hose (it's never done it before). I checked my dipstick and the oil looks fine, I will do an oil change tomorrow to make sure but thankfully it's looking like condensation rather than something sinister.

The only question that remains unanswered for me is the amount of "milky oil". The puddle under the bike was about 2-2.5" in diameter, which seems like an awful lot? Could this amount still be put down to condensation?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:37 PM

If you think a 2" puddle is a lot of oil, put a teaspoon worth on the floor and come back to look at it in 3 hours.

• FGN

Posted May 07, 2014 - 12:59 PM

If you think a 2" puddle is a lot of oil, put a teaspoon worth on the floor and come back to look at it in 3 hours.

A good way to look at it.

Changed the oil and had no water/milk in it, great news.

Oil had a bit of a green tinge though, and had a whiff of petrol to it, not something I've seen before.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399496310.453354.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:18 PM

The green "tinge" is normal for many oils.

Coolant in oil either totally separates or blends into a milky foam.

Very significant amounts of fuel can be introduced into the oil simply by cold starting the engine once without letting itwarm up completely and running it for at least 10-15 minutes.

• FGN

Posted May 09, 2014 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.