Rear Wheel Question

6 replies to this topic
  • Lor

Posted December 25, 2009 - 08:32 PM

I'm looking for a back up wheel for my new 2010 YZ 450. What years would also fit this bike. I heard that the 09 will fit, will any others? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2009 - 09:11 PM

Nope, that's it as far as OEM wheels. However, Talon wheels made for '99 or later YZ's can be converted by changing to the right bearings, distance spacer, and hub spacers. GYT-R offers a kit for it for sixty dollars

• dgiles

Posted December 26, 2009 - 07:04 AM

Ok, on the same topic, are the 09's unique are do other years fit them as well. I have a 08 YZ450 with spare wheels and wondering if a friend who purchases a 09 will be able to use my spare wheels. I know every year below a 08 fits them all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2009 - 07:52 AM

No, the '09, and apparently the '10, have larger, 25mm axles, and the older wheels with the 22mm axles won't interchange.

I know every year below a 08 fits them all.

Almost true, or true with conditions. Rear wheels from '99 up will interchange up to '08 provided the correct spacers for the bike are used, and the brake rotor is 5mm smaller on the '01 and earlier models.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

• eazrider

Posted December 27, 2009 - 10:26 PM

Nope, that's it as far as OEM wheels. However, Talon wheels made for '99 or later YZ's can be converted by changing to the right bearings, distance spacer, and hub spacers. GYT-R offers a kit for it for sixty dollars

So, just to make it clear for some of us knuckleheads: Can you retrofit an earlier rear OEM wheel with the appropriate bearings, perhaps available from GYT-R, to use as an alternate wheel on a 2010? I have laced an 18" wheel to use as an alternate on my '06 and would like to use the same sort of set up for my 2010.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2009 - 10:41 PM

GYT-R offers nothing that I have seen to accomplish that. It seems reasonable that you would be able to get a pair of bearings the right sizes, but you'll have to do the research yourself unless someone else comes up with the dimensions and availability first. You'll also need a center spacer (distance piece) the right size, and see if it will fit through the center of the hub.

• myoung

Posted December 27, 2009 - 11:49 PM

Aftermarket hubs have the oversize bearings and the ID of the spacer's shoulder is what accommodates the diameter of the axle.

On stock hubs the ID of the bearings is the size of the axle.

An aftermarket hub adapter kit could run a bearing with a slightly larger ID, while still having the same OD and thickness, and still be oversize. The shoulder on the spacer would just be made with the different 25mm ID and whatever the OD needs to be for the different size bearing's ID.

The stock bearings could be changed to something with a 25mm ID, but only if there's a standard size available with a 25mm ID and the same OD and thickness as the '08 and earlier hub bearings. There are standard sizes in the bearing world, and sometimes you cant get the ID, OD and thickness combo you want.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.