Trying to decide what 450 to get

10 replies to this topic
  • Charlie755

Posted December 25, 2009 - 07:50 AM

My son turned pro in November. He has been racing YZ250F's ever since he moved up to big bikes. Yes he races a 250F in the 450F class. We are looking at getting him a 450F after the first of the year. We are leaning towards the RMZ 450 because I can get them 08/09's (brand new) for around $5000.00 but I did some research and the engine parts are rediculous compared to the Yamaha's. I just want some input from those of you that own 08 or 09 YZ450F's. Any issues? I usually do a top end on the 250F's every 40 hrs along with the timing chain. Do you guys do them any less than that or does that sound about right for a 450F as well? Any other opinions on the bikes would be appreciated too. :moon:

• hitHard757

Posted December 25, 2009 - 07:56 AM

In AZ ridenow stores you can get a rmz 250 450 for nothing .For 2010 i would go crf450 there great this year

• Charlie755

Posted December 25, 2009 - 03:04 PM

Ha ha my son has ridden the Honda's. He doesnt like them. I think its the ergo's cause I know they corner good and have plenty of power.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 26, 2009 - 06:47 PM

The Yamaha product is quite a bit more durable and reliable than the Suzuki product. Regardless of model. Suzuki also uses far inferior fasteners on their bikes, that break easily.

• panaman

Posted December 28, 2009 - 07:44 AM

the new YZ450's are sweet... never rode one.. but the way they have the engine all setup just looks awesome

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:19 AM

I'd take a look at the contingencies all manufacturers have for your region and events your son plans to do. Maybe some riders in similar situations in the yz450f forum could chime in, too.

• Charlie755

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:53 PM

I'd take a look at the contingencies all manufacturers have for your region and events your son plans to do. [COLOR="Red"]Maybe some riders in similar situations in the yz450f forum could chime in, too[/COLOR].

Thats mainly what I'm looking for but any input is appreciated. :moon:

• WholeShotKing

Posted December 30, 2009 - 06:51 AM

I haven't owned a Suzuki in years but when I did, they seemed to break more often. I've rode/raced Yamaha's for years and found them to be bullet proof.

If I were buying a racing bike, I'd want the best, most trick bike money can buy. No sense buying cheep only to loose the race due to a DNF.

Look at the 2010 YZ450F..... OMG...... If it runs as good as the reviews.... There's your son's new bike.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 30, 2009 - 07:48 PM

You can get 09 YZ450s for $5K as well. And, we all know they are bullet proof.

Bonus, most of the spares you've bought, levers, sprockets, filters (oil and air) will all fit the new bike. 2010 YZs are another story.

Just sayin.

• washington_rider

Posted December 30, 2009 - 11:22 PM

In my opinion, like others have said, you can get a new showroom floor '09 for dirt cheap. With each new generation of bike (I.E. the new '10 YZ 450) there is great potential for minor flaws to arise. iether find a '09, or wait 2 years and get a YZ450 after a few years of tuning. heck, if there are no problems with the '10, at that point you could find a used one that someone thinks they need the new '13 bike.

just my .02 good luck choosing

• JDLowrance

Posted December 31, 2009 - 05:46 AM

I think he said the kid is a pro. Those guys are really hard on equipment compared to most mortals (including myself) so they definitely require fresh hardware. A 2 year old used bike would most likely be out of the question. That's why I recommended a brand spanker 09.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.