13:5:1 piston

10 replies to this topic
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted December 24, 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey if anyone could help me i am thinking about switching to a 13:5:1 HC piston, 03 yz450f, just wondering if it is necessary to do any honing of the cylinder. On Wisecos site if you look at the piston itself it says to hone cylinder. But if you check out the whole kit it doesnt say anything about this. Also im wondering what exactly honing a head is all about and if that consists of a machine shop doing the work?

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 24, 2009 - 08:31 PM

Honing is simply cross hatching the cylinder, meaning going up and down with a hone to remove score marks. This allows the rings to have a nice smooth surface to re break into. You can buy a hone at an auto parts store, get the right size, and attach it to a drill.

• eazrider

Posted December 24, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Honing is simply cross hatching the cylinder, meaning going up and down with a hone to remove score marks. This allows the rings to have a nice smooth surface to re break into. You can buy a hone at an auto parts store, get the right size, and attach it to a drill.

Actually, a hone removes the "smooth" glaze, and provides a rough surface to properly seat the rings....

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hey if anyone could help me i am thinking about switching to a 13:5:1 HC piston, 03 yz450f, just wondering if it is necessary to do any honing of the cylinder. On Wisecos site if you look at the piston itself it says to hone cylinder. But if you check out the whole kit it doesnt say anything about this. Also im wondering what exactly honing a head is all about and if that consists of a machine shop doing the work?

Whenever replacing the rings, the cylinder should always be honed to refinish it. The exception is a new cylinder from Yamaha.

http://www.thumperta...759#post4380759

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 25, 2009 - 10:52 AM

Actually, a hone removes the "smooth" glaze, and provides a rough surface to properly seat the rings....

I should watch how I say what I say. That's what I meant.:moon:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Humm thanks. Never knew you could actually buy one, something else i would have to look into i have done rings before and pistons but never really touched up the head in anyway. Guess that would have been good to know at the time. My gf has a blaster that i did the top end on no hone still runs strong. Also my warrior i did the same. But when it comes to the 450 not a step of proper care will be missed. I will have to see what i can find to hone the cylinder. Thank you.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2009 - 06:43 PM

OK doing research and it seems that flex hone is the way to go but i have no idea what material type to use or grit, when it comes to ordering one http://www.brushrese...rushes.php?c1=2 if anyone has a clue let me know?

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2009 - 06:48 PM

Get the 4.125" 240 grit in either AO or 25/75.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:46 PM

Stock bore is 3.75 why would i go that much over? Seems like i would be taking more off than needed.

Also i am not doubting your knowledge, just wondering why?

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2009 - 09:39 PM

The sizes available are 3.75 and 4.125. This is the diameter of the hone, not the bore size it is intended to resurface. The hone depends on spring pressure, and if the hone and the bore are the same size, there won't be any. I have used 3.75" hones in bores that size before, but it's not ideal, and requires that the hone be tilted at angles to the bore axis in order to accomplish anything.

If you follow the instruction in the post I linked to, extremely little material will actually be removed in any case. That, by the way, is why I don't use a harder abrasive than what I recommended; I don't want to change the size or shape of the cylinder, just refinish it. That the hone wears a bit faster is OK with me.

• NJDirtdog1

Posted December 28, 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hey thanks for the info, didnt even notice that link at first, but that explained to a T what is needed to be done. Really appreciated, i will have to post after hone and say how it turns out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.