05' 450 top end

3 replies to this topic
  • Joe II

Posted December 24, 2009 - 01:28 PM

I am going to re-do the top end on my 450 I bought it used so I don't completely trust it. I'm planning on piston, rings, valves. Is there anything else I should replace and what brands of the afformentioned parts work the best or should I stick w/ oem parts. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

• ForsheeMS

Posted December 24, 2009 - 01:46 PM

JE, Wiseco, CP, or OEM will work fine for the piston. I would inspect the valves carefully before replacing them as they may be good for another year or two. I would reccomend replacing the valve springs regardless. Also be sure to replace the timing chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Stay with OEM parts unless you have the experience to select and match up a full set of compatible components, and a plan for what the finished engine will do. If you're just rebuilding a stocker, Stay with Yamaha parts. They'll cost less than the upscale aftermarket parts, work better than the low cost replacements, and there will be fewer fit problems.

• Joe II

Posted December 24, 2009 - 09:01 PM

Thanks guys

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.