YZF or WR ?

10 replies to this topic
  • spdnjoe

Posted December 23, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hello guys,
I'm an average to advanced rider. I want to get a bike I can ride decently fast in the desert, trails and exploring. I like to ride Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs and Johnson Valley area. I definately do not to track time.
I am 6'2", 250. For all around type of riding, would you guys reccomend a WR or a YZF ? I know that whatever I get, it will need the suspension gone through.
I am looking at 426s. I can get screaming deals on YZFs, but then it would need a desert tank and lighting. Would it be worth it ? Or should I just go for a WR ?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 23, 2009 - 02:53 PM

The WR

Based on your height and weight you can man handle as needed in the technical stuff. The bike's size and weight require that, it's not super nimble when it gets super gnarly but bigger guys like us (read; tall and fat:busted:), can definitely make it work.

I have been able to ride and race competitively all of my WR's at an "A level" so don't worry about it holding you back any just identify the things like suspension, free mods, etc... when choosing one.

• JDLowrance

Posted December 23, 2009 - 03:39 PM

Definitely the WR. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs as well. You'll have to open up the riding position and at least some springs (.50kg/mm fork and 6.3 kg/mm shock) and you'll be good to go.

John

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 23, 2009 - 04:36 PM

E-start on WR + "no track time" = Buy the WR.

• jffsnlsn

Posted December 23, 2009 - 10:53 PM

All of my riding buddies are buying YZ's for their "flickability". I personally haven't seen much "flicking" going on, & I'm pretty happy with my WR (& it's only a 250).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted December 24, 2009 - 11:19 AM

If you are a CA resident, I say get a WR450.

1. 05 and up will have a green sticker & E-Start (Ride all year round).
2. YZ's are always red sticker bikes.
3. 07-09 Aluminum Frame.

• Scubdawg

Posted December 24, 2009 - 05:38 PM

All of my riding buddies are buying YZ's for their "flickability". I personally haven't seen much "flicking" going on, & I'm pretty happy with my WR (& it's only a 250).

He is right! All my friends also are buying the YZs, But I am just as fast and even faster than most of them!!!! Get the suspension done and this bike seems to dissappear from beneath you..:moon:

• spdnjoe

Posted December 31, 2009 - 12:17 PM

Well guys.....thanks for all your feedback. I ended up picking up an 01 YZ426. It has ProTec suspension valved for 225 Lbs., pipe, JD jet kit, brand new Maxxis IT desert tires, desert tank,triple clamps, hand guards, 8oz flywheel weight, and a brand new motor from the dealer with receipts 6 months ago. It runs great. The motor was totally cold and started on the second kick and idled perfect. Pulls real hard.

I picked up the bike for $1,200.....I think it was a steal.

tell me what you guys think.
Posted Image

• jffsnlsn

Posted December 31, 2009 - 06:04 PM

Looks great. Change the oil & filter, clean the air filter, then ride it like you stole it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 31, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Well guys.....thanks for all your feedback. I ended up picking up an 01 YZ426. It has ProTec suspension valved for 225 Lbs., pipe, JD jet kit, brand new Maxxis IT desert tires, desert tank,triple clamps, hand guards, 8oz flywheel weight, and a brand new motor from the dealer with receipts 6 months ago. It runs great. The motor was totally cold and started on the second kick and idled perfect. Pulls real hard.

I picked up the bike for $1,200.....I think it was a steal.

tell me what you guys think.
Posted Image

Good bike. Put a rekluse on it and you'll get most of the benefits of e-start.

have fun!

• nor-calYZ426

Posted January 01, 2010 - 06:07 PM

nice bike. i just picked up an 02 for 1200 couple days ago

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.