Posted May 02, 2003 - 12:11 PM

Had my xr650r for a month now.
Has been uncorked with,
172 main
68s pilot
competion needle centre position
Bike surges at 80-90 k/hr
Any one had the same problem?
Bike is used for riding to work and fun on days off :)

• needsprayer

Posted May 02, 2003 - 02:14 PM

What's your altitude? The jetting may be off a little.
Have you checked the foam air filter? An over oiled air filter can cause problems.
Have you checked the carb clamps (front and rear) to make sure of a good fitting?
Any sign of gas overflowing out of the carb when sitting with the petcock open?
Does this always occur at the speed indicated regardless of which gear you are in? Trying to determine throttle position when this occurs.

It may be possible that the main jet is not seated properly (not snug).

There are other possibilites but this may help you in troubleshooting.

• Guest_XRANDY_*

Posted May 02, 2003 - 09:51 PM

Try running the stock pilot jet. I found mine ran better with it vs. the 68S.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PeterJ

Posted May 06, 2003 - 04:58 PM

I've got only a few hundred miles on mine and have noticed the same thing. It usually occurs at partial throttle during the last ten miles of running with the petcock in the "on" position, before switching to reserve. Try running on reserve and see if the condition goes away.

• Burren_Rider

Posted May 11, 2003 - 03:10 PM

One thing you might try is going to a 165 MJ. At 80-90km/hr it would be working on the main and it is likely that the 172 is too rich for Australian conditions (especially at any kind of altitiude). I run a 165 Main and a 65 Pilot and find the bike runs really well in that trim. As far as I know the Safari bikes run by the Honda team also ran that jetting prior to using the HRC kit so I guess that is a fair indication that a 165 is rich enough.

Another thing to watch out for is the spring loaded flap on the choke butterfly. This won't cause surging but can do a lot worse if it fatigues and gets sucked thru to the combustion chamber as they had a habit of doing on the 600's. It is easily removed and might be worth looking at if you intend to to a fair few miles.

• aussiexr

Posted May 14, 2003 - 11:55 PM

Just an update. With many trips to the dyno :D,jet changes a new exhaust,the problem was fairly simple last resort a sugestion was to check the tappets on doing so we found that the inlet we couldn`t get a feeler gauge in and on getting them adjusted found the locknuts were loose on them.So returned back to spec .Who said pig don`t fly! :)
Thank You

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.